Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

100 Points

Wednesday, September 13th, 2023 1:10 AM

Closed

I cannot run Elden Ring on Steam. Solution?

I get "unable to start correctly....."

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

11 months ago

Hi @fieldsdavid193,

To isolate the issue, could you try to temporarily disable protection on Windows and check if issue will improve.

Also it would help us if you can provide the following information: 

1. Trend Micro Program Version:
How to check Trend Micro program version on Windows | Trend Micro Help Center

2. Screenshot of the Issue:

Hope this helps!

Superstar

• 

207 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

11 months ago

Trend Micro interferes with the Steam legit games. Try excluding the steam folder as a whole. I always exclude Steam or ubisoft folders. But once you exclude these you may not be able to get any threat detection from these. So after few days you can remove them from exclusion and run a virus scan and then re add to exclusion. Sometimes Trend inteferes with the launching of the legit games itself. I have faced this issue with Halo Master Chief collection. It just basically was terminating the launch every time I ran the same. You will find exclusion settings under the settings options. Explore the settings menu.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

51 Messages

• 

1.1K Points

Hello @Anime_007

Thank you for the additional details! We'd like to confirm if your Trend Micro is on version 17.7.1951. If not, please update to the latest version and inform us if the issue improves. 

If the issue persists, please provide us the following: 

1. Screenshot of the exact error when trying to launch Elden Ring. 
  2. Aside from Elden Ring and Halo Master Chief collection, are there any other games on Steam where you're encountering issues? 

Thanks!

Hustler

• 

119 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

11 months ago

Any game that uses Easy Anti Cheat is getting stopped by Trend Micro, I just added the whole Steam folder to my exception list and have no issues running Steam games.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Hi @davevt31​, 

Since you also encounter the same issue, we'd like to confirm if your Trend Micro is on version 17.7.1951. If not, please update to the latest version and inform us if the issue improves.

If the issue persists, please provide us with a screenshot of the issue upon opening the said games.

Thanks in advance!

Superstar

• 

207 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

@davevt31​ exactly thats what causing issues. No other AV blocks game because of having anti cheat mechanism.

Superstar

• 

207 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

@tm_carlo​ its been years and it requires a fix. As one user already pointed out the reason for any game blocked by Trend. Its because it just kills any game with Anti cheat mechanism. Halo Master Chief Collection have that as well. Ask app developers to enquire into this matter. Its not good to add the whole steam folder into exclusion. What if some day a legit game is infected and a user will not be notified as its under exclusion. No other reputed AV kills a game with Anti cheat mechanism.

Superstar

• 

207 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

@tm_carlo​ yes thats the one. Latest version of tm.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

83 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

Hi @Anime_007 ,

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. We have already reported this issue where Trend Micro seems to be conflicting with games that uses Easy Anti-Cheat system.

You can use the exception list as a temporary work around but rest assured that we are working on this issue.

Thank you for your patience!

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

122 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

Hi @davevt31​,

We are currently in the process of investigating this matter, and we have also brought it to the attention of our developers. Once we receive an update from them, we will likely notify the users who have been impacted. In the meantime, let's continue using the workaround by adding it to the exception lists.

We truly appreciate your patience!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights