Hotshot

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

Sunday, September 17th, 2017 12:45 AM

Closed

Max Security 2017 12.x update wipes out Max Security 10.x version ? ? ?

I have an XP system.  I have been happily chugging along using Trend Micro.  I believe it was a 10.x series - and it was successfully updating UNTIL Sept 2017.  When the Trend Micro Maximum did its usual update it looks like it shifted to the non-XP-compatible 12.x version.  Following the 'update' the icon became non-responsive and I could not open the console. 

I removed all traces of Trend Micro Maximum Security and reinstalled the 10.X version and everything looked and worked like normal again.   THEN the program did an update and once again the icon became non-functional ( could not right click on it to bring up the options ).

Any idea how to install the 10.X version and get it to NOT update to the 12.x version ?   I found it funny that my original installation has functioned 100% properly UP UNTIL this September 'update'.

And please don't mention about upgrading to Windows 10.  I have a monstrously powerful Windows 10 system ( with Trend Micro running on it ) ... but I happen to make constant use of this beautifully powered XP machine ( and I have no desire to load the Win 10 operating system on to  it ).

Superstar

• 

498 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

7 years ago

Welcome to the Community, snpmarq!

I see that you would like to disable or prevent the Trend Micro program from automatically updating from version 10 to version 12.

For that, kindly download the installer from the link below that is intended for Windows XP only and so that we can prevent the Trend Micro program to check for the latest versions available: Windows XP's Consumer End of Support.

Kindly update us for any changes. Thank you!

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

7 years ago

I have installed the 10.x version.  I believe it is the same version I previously installed, which when it tries to update will bring me the non-functioning 12.x version ?  

After installation things looked good.  BUT within a minute or so IT AUTOMATICALLY STARTED downloading the 12.x update - without any interaction by me. 

After it downloaded the update and installed it the icon reappeared and looked normal.  So I held the cursor over the icon and it said " Protected by Trend Micro etc ". 

BUT by simply holding the cursor over the icon, this triggered it to reload - approximately 3 times.

On the final reload the icon itself no longer appears..

I believe the program is running ( by checking the task manager ), but I have no means by which to interact with the console.

I opened up my Microsoft Outlook and it doesn't appear to have the Trend Micro tabs attached to it.

So I am flying a bit blind here... I went to the programs listing via the Start option and ran the Trouble Shooting option and up popped a little Air Support window that showed EOFF0022 ...

177 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

7 years ago

Hello @snpmarq,

I do apologize that you are encountering this issue. 

As provided on the link to you about the Windows XP's Consumer End of Support, Microsoft formally announced the Windows XP end of support. Because Microsoft no longer fixes issues on Windows XP, it has become increasingly difficult for Trend Micro to keep users safe on this operating system safe. We encourage all of our users to upgrade their PCs to a more modern operating system which will provide greater stability and security.

Since you are using a Windows XP Operating System, the Maximum Security version 12 will not work properly on your PC anymore. You may need to reinstall again the Maximum Security 10 for you to have protection on your computer. And disregard the pop ups to upgrade to the latest version.

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

7 years ago

Sadly... the Vers 10 AUTOMATICALLY commenced and completed an update to Vers 12 within 2 minutes of the Vers 10 being installed.   As noted previously there was no human intervention in this updating process... it happened all on its own.   I would have been quite content if the Vers 10 had not automagically updated itself...

The thing that surprises me about this is that TM kindly makes available the Vers 10 and directs XP users to that specific download.  I would have thought that version would have had the AUTOMAGIC UPDATE DISABLED so that the Vers 10 doesn't go an update itself all on its own ? ?
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

208 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

7 years ago

Hello @snpmarq,

May I know if you have already tried to reinstall the Maximum Security 10? If yes, may I know if you still receives the pop up regarding in upgrading to the latest version? If so, I suggest that you may disregard or ignore it first. Then let us know what will happen after.

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

7 years ago

I didn't get a pop up advising of an update.  I made it to the normal console screen where there is a reference to me be entitled to updates.   I did not hover or click it.   But after a minute or two the Vers 10 automagically did an update all on its own.   At that point the problems begin, where I am not able to right click on the icon.   And if I do click on that icon to try to open the console it appears to almost try and reload itself ( or update itself ) with the icon going in to the usual swirling look that I use to get when it was updating.   It seems to try 3 times to reload and on the third reload the icon itself disappears.  I can go in to the task manager and see that most components are in memory and running...  but I am assuming that they are Version 12 components and hence the incompatibility kicks in to make it non-responsive.   If I open Firefox... it detects the presence of the TM Max Security and offers to add on two modules.   Yet if I fire up the Microsoft Outlook, it does not inherit the TM Tabs that I am use to seeing.   An interesting mystery.   Considering everything was working perfectly up until the start of September 2017.

Superstar

• 

498 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

7 years ago

Hi snpmarq,

Our apologies for the inconvenience regarding this issue but we thank you for your participation by providing the details for us to help you solve this problem.

From the way I see it, there must be a process that's automatically being triggered and, as a response, the program will automatically check for latest versions available. If this helps, we may disable this process configuring some items on the computer’s Registry.

You may reinstall the Trend Micro program version 10 and open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit immediately to temporarily disable its components:

·        Please press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard to open the Run Command window.

·        Type "supporttool.exe" and press Enter

·        Go to Uninstall tab and click on Stop All Components

·        Open the Run Command window again and type "regedit" to open Registry Editor

But before we make changes on the Registry, I recommend creating a backup first:

·        Click File and then Export

·        Select the directory where the registry backup will be saved

·        Enter a file name for the registry backup

·        Under Export Range, make sure that the All button is selected.

·        Click Save.

Once that’s done, please access this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\UniClient\1700\LicensePlugin

Clicking on LicensePlugin, you’ll see a list.Select (double-click) EnablePMACPopup and EnableUpgrade and set their value data to 0 (Zero).

You may open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit again, got to Uninstall tab and choose Start All Components. Try to open the Trend Micro program main console again.

Hope this helps.

Kindly let us know what happens then. Have a lovely day! :)

Hotshot

• 

18 Messages

• 

560 Points

7 years ago

Followed the recipe exactly.   It was clearly explained and easy to follow.  HOWEVER... even with those two items disabled - the Trend Micro Max Ver 10 kept encountering some kind of glitch... and would shut down and reload.   Although it looks like it was trying to update, I believe it was encountering a glitch and simply re-initializing itself. 

I grabbed a screen shot of the error that was displayed... and it seemed to involve the Visual C++

I repaired all versions of Visual C++ = but alas, it did not fix things.

I am not blaming Trend Micro... as this is the type of thing one has to expect when running XP.   So your patience with my questions is most appreciated.

I can no longer update IE or Chrome on my XP. ( Heck I can't even run the old versions )  And even with Firefox, they have separated the XP users from the main branch of program development... so I guess it  is only a matter of a few months before I will no longer be able to use Firefox ;(

I may have to move things over to my hellishly monstrously overpowered Win 10 computer sooner then later.

So I won't bother beating this horse any further.  I think I have simply encountered another nail in the coffin of my XP system.   But I do want to thank everyone for their inputs trying to help resolve this glitch.

One nice thing is that my Trend Micro Maximum Security is operating beautifully on my Windows 10 Ferrari system.

Best wishes

Marq

Superstar

• 

498 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

7 years ago

We thank you kindly your reply, snpmarq! And you're very much welcome, it's our pleasure to help you guys out.

It's unfortunate to hear that those steps did not help. Even more with the thought that issues with the Windows XP are no longer supported by most of support channels. :(

But thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We hope to encounter more of your posts in the future!

Good thing you have that awesome Windows 10 machine of yours. Have a lovely day! :)

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights