Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

50 Points

Saturday, May 13th, 2017 11:25 PM

Closed

How do I get Trend Micro to scan an external hard drive.

We have external hard drives and want to scan them how do we do that?
Brand User

67 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi @bdans1 and welcome to the community!

I understand that you would like to run a scan for your external hard drives.

For us to do this, a Custom Scan should be the one we need to perform. Please refer on the steps below:

1. Open the Trend Micro Program

2. Click on the arrow pointing downward beside the Scan button

3. Choosing Custom Scan should provide you a selection of all available drives for scanning

4. Select all the Drives you want to be scanned. You may then commence the scan by clicking Start Scan

You may also just perform a Manual Scan on your external hard drives. 

To perform a Manual or Shell Scan, follow the step below:

Right-click on the specific file or folder that you want to scan and click Scan for Security Threats.

The scan window will appear on the lower right part of the screen. Wait for the scan to finish.

For more information regarding all types of scan, you may refer on this link.
Running a scan using your Trend Micro Security software

We hope this helps and please let us know if the solution works for you.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Neophyte

• 

23 Messages

• 

444 Points

7 years ago

My concern is that the drive I am needing to scan is out of a laptop.  The laptop boots via UEFI instead of standard bios and I want to be sure that it's scanned both for any rootkits as well as every file in every account on the drive.  The computer I am using to scan it has no relation to this external drive and I feel certain that various permissions, etc. are going to keep it from being able to scan every file.  What do you suggest to be sure that detections aren't missed because files just pull an Access Denied to my knowledge.  I was unable to use one of my normal boot-flash & scan with a non-windows scanner due to the UEFI boot keeping it from being able to boot properly while the drive was in the laptop.
Thanks for any help.!

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi Myrcom,

If there are folders on the drive where you can not get in, TM can not come there either
But in those folders there is nothing left to work on their own and doing damage to your PC.
There are programs like Unlocker that can open these folders and delete them if you no longer use them.

Kind regards,
Tom

Neophyte

• 

23 Messages

• 

444 Points

7 years ago

Thanks Tom.
Well, I'm trying to get this system up & running again and don't want to delete anything that's not an infection... It's just that Win10 has a bad habit of locking bunches of files and since I've had to remove the drive from it's native system in order to scan it, I have no access set on it from the scanning computer.. I don't want to use something like "Take Ownership" since that would allow me to clean it but, once it was back in it's native system -- it wouldn't work anymore.  That's the dilemma.  I was hoping that Trend would actually have some sort of helpful method.

Oh well, it's off to other methods to attempt to non-destructively make sure that I've gotten all the lil buggers out of it so I can get it back into it's system & running again.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
Have a great week.!

~Myrddin R Emrys
.end.trans.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi MyrcomTech,

Good Luck, thumbs up.