danv's profile

5 Messages

• 

172 Points

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 10:28 PM

Closed

Dual boot & the computer name has to stay the same

Hi,

I installed a dual boot system today (windows 7 and windows 10). The windows 7 uses 1 of my 3 licenses of Internet Security, the other 2 are on other PCs.
I'll buy a 4th license - not a problem, but I cannot change the name of the PC. There are several hard disks installed and shared on the network. Users would be totally confused if one time they have to use one name, the other time another to connect. What can I do ? And - no, I can't ask the users to use the IP - most of them are on Mac and we had a real difficult time to get the network stable. I need a Trendmicro solution, not a network modification.

How to use the same PC-name for 2 active licenses?

Thanks in advance
Danielle

22 Messages

• 

524 Points

7 years ago

HI  danv  and welcome to the community

May I verify what computer name are you referring? Is it in the system itself or you want to know/change the name of the computer under the Trend Micro program for easy recognizing.

This two are different from each other. The computer name for the operating system can change under the Control Panel\System and Security\System and you will see the Change setting.

If you want to change the name of computer from your Trend Micro program for you to recognize the computer that is protected under your account.  See the following information below:

To determine the Subscription information of the program and edit the subscription information:

1. Open your Trend Micro Security, double-click the Trend Micro  icon on your desktop or on your system tray.  

Windows 8 Desktop
2. Click the icon (3 horizontal bars or the shadow figure man in the upper right corner), then click Subscription Information.
3. The  Subscription Information. window will appear showing your serial number and its expiration date.
4. You will see "Edit subscription information" then it will redirect you to your Trend Micro My Account> Login 
5. You will see the devices that are protected. You can click the "Edit" 

6. Once click , you can now change the name of the device that are protecting by Trend Micro Program and click "Change Now".

With regard to your concern, even though you use a dual boot Operating System under in a single computer and you install the program in both operating system it will be considered as 2 different devices.

A dual-boot machine is considered as two machines because the computer IDs are different. As with installing your operating system, you will need different licenses for the two partitions when installing our product on a dual-boot machine.

I hope this clears everything. If you need any other assistance or inquiry, don't hesitate to post in our community.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

5 Messages

• 

172 Points

7 years ago

Perfect :-). I knew you had a solution.

Thanks!

45 Messages

• 

1K Points

7 years ago

Hello danv!

Thank you so much for letting us know of this update. 

It is good to know that this issue was resolved already.

Should you encounter any issues in the future, please feel free to reach out to us anytime. We hope that you'd enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community

5 Messages

• 

172 Points

7 years ago

But checking the meaning of "computer ID" shows that it is the same than "computer name". It means that the computer ID does not change with a dual boot machine - if the user does not want to change it. The only thing which changes in the computer properties is the Windows product ID.

Nevertheless, my problem is solved: Trendmicro is not tied to the computer ID (... name). I can buy a license.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights