charlotte_wolter's profile

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

Saturday, February 4th, 2017 8:04 PM

Closed

What is nmap.exe and why is it running every 10 seconds?

nmap.exe runs every 10 seconds on my Windows 8.1 computer. It causes a spike in CPU use and in network use. Under Performance Monitor there are usually 4 or 5 instances of nmap running. namp.exe is located in C;\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\DRScanner. I searched the entire Trend Micro database and found 0 (!) results for either DRScanner or nmap.exe. So, why is this program in the Trend Micro folder but not in the database? Is it malware?

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours.
To help you we need more info
The OS you are on, the TM version in use
nmap.exe is a network scanner that you can install and is a part of TM "HouseCall for Home Networks"
You can uninstall it from the programlist.
Like to here from you

Kind regards,
Tom

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

I have Windows 8.1 and the latest version of Internet Security (2017).
And, I already looked for it under Programs in Control Panel. It's not there. Neither is DRScanner. That also alarmed me.
I understand that nmap.exe may be part of Trend Micro, but this behavior does not seem normal.
And, if it is part of TM, why is there nothing on the web site?
Further, how do I find those "TM employees" you mentioned? I can't find a way even to send an email to TM Support.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi Charlotte,

If the program is not in the list.
Stop the program from running with your Task manager.
Go with explorer to the map you said the program is running from and delete the TM map.
This you should do if you are running  a 64 bit version of Win 8.1
There should be in the "Program Files" map a other version of TM (TM 2017)
If you want to ask a TM employee, tomorrow they read this and if you not reply that the problem is solved they reply to you.
If you are in a hurry, you may try this.
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/premium-security/home.aspx

Kind regards,
Tom

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

Hi, Tom,

Thank you very much.
Yes, I do have 64-bit Windows 8.1. I did not delete the folder. I only moved it to a different folder. I want to show it to the TM people.
Also, the "Trend Micro" folder in c:\Program Files (x86) contained nothing but a folder named "DRScanner." That folder included nmap.exe.
map.exe no longer is running, but I am concerned that there may be other malware on my computer. So I hope that I do hear from TM.
Thanks again!

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi Charlotte

Thats strange and you did not answer the question, the TM version you have installed, because i think you dont have any!
Because the DR scanner of TM is a free scanner for network connections and give not any protection!
So tell me more.

Kind regards,
Tom
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

7 years ago

Hi Tom, thanks for assisting!

Hi @Charlotte Wolter, sorry for not getting back earlier. 

To answer your question, as Tom mentioned, Nmap is a security scanner module which used in the following Trend Micro's product. It sends specially crafted packages to the target host and then analyzes the responses.
Don't worry, it's not a malware. May I know if you have used any of the above products?

Trend Micro Home Users Community

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

Linda,
I now know it is not malware. However, I still do not know why it is running every 10 seconds, using about 25% of the CPU. That seems excessive.
I have run House Call for Home Networks and House Call, but have only standard TM Internet Security 2017.
So, what do I lose, if anything, if I turn this off permanently?
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

7 years ago

Hi @Charlotte Wolterm, thank you for the reply.

To answer your high CPU usage question, since Trend Micro House Call and HouseCall for Home Networks have a similar feature with Trend Micro Internet Security, we assume that the issue is caused by confliction.

Please refer to following support document to uninstall Trend Micro HouseCall and HouseCall for Home Networks:
Programs to remove before installing Trend Micro Security - refer to "Steps to remove conflicting programs"

Also, if the related folders still exist on your computer, please remove them manually.

Please let us know if the above procedures work for you. If the problem persists, please provide a screenshot of your task manager and provide more information (e.g. error message if there's any etc.) we'll be glad to assist you. Thank you!

7 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 years ago

Linda,
OK, I'll try that and will reinstall TM 2017. I must admit that I'm a little surprised that HouseCall doesn't get removed automatically during a TM installation, because it easily can be downloaded and run again, if needed.
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

7 years ago

Hi @Charlotte Wolterm, thanks for your feedback!

I will forward your feedback to our related Team and will enhance our product in the future. Thank you!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights