daniel's profile

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Wednesday, July 20th, 2016 12:24 PM

Closed

Web access schedule randomly starts blocking at the wrong time.

Hi, I'm running a web access schedule on my son's Windows 10 laptop that he uses for school. We're finding it randomly but regularly starts blocking at allowed times, and allowing at blocked times.

This happens unpredictably but averaging about twice per week. If I disable then re-enable parental controls, it starts doing the correct thing. Then a few hours or days later, it suddenly starts blocking at the wrong time.

This is quite an issue because it has prevented him from doing required work in class, and it also would allow him to use his laptop at night. In short, Trend Micro is not only not doing what it should, it's actually worse than if I didn't have it.

Please advise me of a fix asap.
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

8 years ago

Thank you for reporting this issue. For your Parental Controls Feature question, here's a related community topic that might answer your question:
Parental controls not working correctly with Windows 10

Hope this discussion answers your question. Please let me know if you have more concerns or questions by replying here. Thank you.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

8 years ago

Hi TM_Linda. No, that topic is not relevant. It's about the blocking not being effective. In my case, the blocking works acceptably well - but the schedule timing seems to mess itself up randomly.

Completely different issue.

Perhaps a TM engineer who understands how the product works could determine what mechanisms could possibly cause the access schedule to be active and inactive at completely the wrong times. E.g. could it be suddenly running itself off a different time zone? Perhaps there's a code snippet or function where a developer has inadvertently referred to UTC or US E.S.T. instead of local clock time? I note a review from a few years ago criticized TM for allowing the schedule to be easily circumvented simply by changing the computer clock... clearly, that issue has since been patched; could the patch be causing my issue?

I would appreciate a helpful reply based on facts about the product, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

8 years ago

Thanks for your reply. We're sorry we cannot help you here as solving this issue in community would take much longer. According to your description, we have passed this issue to our support center already, and a member of our support center will contact you through email to investigate soon. 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

8 years ago

Hi, I just received an e-mail saying this issue would be closed because I haven't replied within the past three days.

Be advised that I have not received any further information or contact. The support centre did not contact me. The issue is still open.
Brand User

Veteran

• 

1.3K Messages

• 

16K Points

8 years ago

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We've checked our trouble ticket system, and it seems that our chat center contacted you already! As the latest mail mentioned, please reply to the "email" containing the screenshots that we need to troubleshoot the issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights