Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

Fri, Feb 11, 2022 9:36 AM

On startup taskbar icon won't go away

Hello,

Usually after starting my computer the Trend icon appears for a moment on the taskbar and then disappears.

For about a week now the taskbar icon won't go away. When I left click on it nothing appears on my desktop. I can right click the icon and close it but I'd rather not have to go through this every time I start my computer.

There was an update since this started happening and I hoped that downloading the update would provide a fix for it but unfortunately it didn't.

Please help!

Thanks.

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Il y a 3 m

Hi https://en.community.trendmicro.com/users/5da6efaa762ed63ffc8907e9stallingdavid,

The Trend Micro icon on your taskbar means that a Trend Micro process is running. kindly follow the instruction below and monitor if the issue is still there.

1. Open Task Manger 
  2. End process uiwinmgr.exe
  3. Check if the Trend Micro main console will open 
  4. Restart the computer and monitor the issue.

If the issue is still the same after following the instructions above, kindly try to reinstall the software and restart your computer.

1. On your keyboard, press and hold together the Windows key + R key.
  2. In the open field, type supporttool and hit Enter or click OK. This will open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
  3. Go to C(Uninstall) tab.
  4. Click number 5, after a minute click number 2.
  5. Wait for another minute, and click number 4.
  6. Open the Trend Micro program and check if the issue persists.

Let me know how it goes.

-TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

@tm_rochelle​ i have a same problem logo(named:trend micro maximum security) still on the taskbar!!!

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Hi, zakeri.muhammad

Have you tried to install the latest version of Trend Micro program? Did you also try to follow the troubleshooting steps provided on this thread?

Awaiting for your response.

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

Il y a 3 m

Hi TM_Rochelle,

Thanks for responding to my post so quickly. I appreciate that.

When this issue started happening I actually did as you suggested: I tried to use Task Manager to close it. Unfortunately that didn't work. I got this message: "The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process." It doesn't appear to be doing anything; it just forgot to close that particular window.

This is when I closed it in the manner I mentioned above, ie right clicking the icon. This doesn't appear to effect the functioning of the program. The main console still opens and the scheduled scans still happen.

The solution of uninstalling/reinstalling the program is not a satisfactory one. This is never a process I enjoy; I become concerned that something will go wrong and I’ll be in deeper trouble. Perhaps you have a simpler solution or can find an update that will solve this issue.

Thanks for trying,

Andre'a

Brand User
tm_angelo

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Il y a 3 m

Hi stallingsdavid,

Can you try to check if uiwinmgr.exe is included in the startup apps?

To check:

1. Open Task Manger 
  2. Go to Startup tab

If it is on the list, please try to disable it and check if the issue still persist.

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

Hello @tm_angelo​ ,

Thanks for your response; it was quite educational.

I did as you suggested and checked the Task Manager's "Startup" tab and did not find uiWinMgr.exe there. I did, however, find "Platinum User Session Agent" published by Trend and status listed as enabled.

Under the "Processes" tab I see "Platinum User Session Agent". Also there are 5 other Trend Micro processes (it that's the right term) listed: 3 are listed as "Anti-Malware Solution Platform" (of which only one seems to be active), one is listed as "Browser Exploit Detection Engine" and one as "Client Session Agent Monitor".

Also, I did find uiWinMgr.exe listed 4 times under the "details" tab, each of which have different PID's and differing amounts of Memory. All 4 of these were listed as "disabled".

I also tried something else. I right clicked the icon on the taskbar and then from the dialogue box I right clicked the title "Trend Micro Maximum Security" and then picked "Properties". This is where I learned that the icon is actually a shortcut. Which makes sense to me now.

I appreciate you directing me to the TaskManager tabs. I have no understanding of how they work and am enjoying learning more.

Hopefully we can find a solution to this glitch.

Thanks again!

-Andre'a

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

Il y a 3 m

This is a very annoying issue. I have contacted support to report this issue, but it still appears. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. IT DOES NOT INSPIRE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR PRODUCT!!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

@efa11547​ 

Agreed!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

@efa11547​ 

How did you contact Support? I've not found an easy way to do that. In essence I thought that was what I was doing here.

Thanks.

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

So sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you, efa11547.We are currently checking it on our end and we'll let you know once it has been fixed. 

Hi, stallings.david! You may contact our other support channels here: Contact Trend Micro 

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

110 Points

@efa11547​ agreed!

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

Il y a 1 m

I have been experiencing this issue for several weeks as well.  I'm also kind of tired of always being told to uninstall/reinstall the app when things like this [frequently] happen. Do you guys not test these updates before sending them out? Why do I always have to be the computer guy and fix your bugs? It's a bit frustrating to say the least. This message was posted in FEB and you're apparently still working on it.  Doesn't really seem like progress, now does it?

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Hi, majestyk_2K

Normally the Trend Micro icon can be seen on the system tray upon startup. Is it the same on your end?

If not, try doing a manual update of the program. Just simply select the Trend Micro logo and choose the option Check for Program Updates. After the update follow the steps on this guide: 

Trend Micro Security does not start or turn on

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

120 Points

Il y a 1 m

The app always has an icon in the taskbar but it also puts a second one in the open apps section of the taskbar that does not go way or maximize unless I right click and close it. 

I have issues with Trend doing weird things or sucking up resources a couple times a year and end up having to reinstall it. I don't have to do that with ANY other apps. NONE of them.  But for you you guys, I always end up reinstalling 1-2 times per year at YOUR request because you can fix stuff on your own and it's getting really old. 
Brand User
tm_angelo

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi majestyk_2k,

I have sent you an email where we can continue the troubleshooting, please confirm if you have received it. Thanks!

- TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

180 Points

@tm_angelo Hopefully you can work through this with @majestyk_2k to find the root cause, and best resolution, then share the results with the rest of this group.

I too have been having the identical problem for a few months now.  The taskbar (bottom-right corner) is not the issue -- it's the 2nd "running" icon in the middle section of the other section which shows running apps that is the issue.  We can right-click close it and it goes away, but we have to do this on each reboot, and it's unclear why it is there in the first place.

Brand User
tm_kim

Superstar

• 

621 Messages

• 

8.9K Points

Hi, redrob.

Let us check on this further. I have sent you an email, please confirm if you have received it. Thanks!

- TM_Kim

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

Il y a 10 d

TREND MICRO:

FIX THIS ISSUE, OR YOU ARE ABOUT TO LOOSE A VERY LONG TREM CUSTOMER, THAT USES TREND MICRO MOBILE SECURITY, TREND MICRO HOME SECURITY, AND TREND MICRO MAXIMUN SECURITY. MANY OTHER USERS HAVE THE SAME ISSUE,YET YOU HAVE NOT REMEDIED THIS ISSUE, AFTER MANY,MANY COMPLAINTS, AND MANY OTHER CONSUMERS WILL LEAVE IF THIS IS NOT FIXED!!!!

Brand User
tm_kim

Superstar

• 

621 Messages

• 

8.9K Points

Apologies for the inconvenience, efa11547.

I have sent you an email, so we can assist you further. We will be waiting for your response.

- TM_Kim 

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

120 Points

To tm_ kim:

Sent you a reply email. Have been down this road before, with non satisfactory outcome. SIMPLY FIX THIS ISSUE PLEASE.

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

We'll assist you via email to resolve your concern, efa11547. We apologize for the inconveniences.

-TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

8 Messages

• 

230 Points

Il y a 2 d

Same issue here!

TM Maximum security is updated to latest Version!!

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Hi, Zeph

May I know if you have followed instructions or troubleshooting provided on this thread? Kindly try to restart the Trend Micro components.

1. On your keyboard, press and hold together the Windows key + R key.
  2. In the open field, type supporttool and hit Enter or click OK. This will open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
  3. Go to C(Uninstall) tab.
  4. Click number 5, after a minute click number 2.
  5. Wait for another minute, and click number 4.
  6. Open the Trend Micro program and check if the issue persists.

Let me know how it goes.

-TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

8 Messages

• 

230 Points

@tm_rochelleAlready tried! On restart, the icon appears again!

Legend

• 

652 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Apologies for the inconveniences, zephir44

I have sent you an email. We'll assist you from there. Please confirm if you have received it. Thanks!

- TM_Rochelle

Need Help?

Ask the Community