6 Messages

• 

260 Points

Friday, February 11th, 2022 9:36 AM

Closed

Resolved

On startup taskbar icon won't go away

Hello,

Usually after starting my computer the Trend icon appears for a moment on the taskbar and then disappears.

For about a week now the taskbar icon won't go away. When I left click on it nothing appears on my desktop. I can right click the icon and close it but I'd rather not have to go through this every time I start my computer.

There was an update since this started happening and I hoped that downloading the update would provide a fix for it but unfortunately it didn't.

Please help!

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Neophyte

• 

13 Messages

• 

340 Points

2 years ago

"Reinstall" is OK as a stop-gap basic troubleshooting step.  It sometimes gets things working, but never really identifies what happened in their software that caused the unwanted behavior in the first place.

Since it's affecting *many* customers, rather than temporarily trying to get it to go away, as a software developer I'd like to find out *what* is causing it to pop up there and actually address the cause.

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

@redrob​ .Yep, I am sick and tired of call backs, wasting time, and "NO FIX". They have one last chance, after that, I am going Public with this issue. Enough is enough!!!

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

@redrob​  Honestly, how hard is it? and how many emails, time changes does it take.

Neophyte

• 

13 Messages

• 

340 Points

@efa11547​ Not for nothin'... but what exactly does "I'm gonna go public" mean to you?   I mean... technically this already is a publicly-known issue by nature of it being posted here on the forums, ya?

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Hi redrob,

People on this forum know about it, but how many prospective consumers not on this Forum, and reading other "Reviews", are not aware of this issue, ,and will end up having the same issue. Social Media can help to spread the word, especially when, as you say, it is "publicly -known issue." Mate, I have been with TREND MICRO for over 12 years, when it was 'VET", then changed to TREND MICRO, and use all their products, but this issue is fast becoming intolerable. All we are asking as consumers is "FIX THE PROBLEM"

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

2 years ago

Hi https://en.community.trendmicro.com/users/5da6efaa762ed63ffc8907e9stallingdavid,

The Trend Micro icon on your taskbar means that a Trend Micro process is running. kindly follow the instruction below and monitor if the issue is still there.

1. Open Task Manger 
  2. End process uiwinmgr.exe
  3. Check if the Trend Micro main console will open 
  4. Restart the computer and monitor the issue.

If the issue is still the same after following the instructions above, kindly try to reinstall the software and restart your computer.

1. On your keyboard, press and hold together the Windows key + R key.
  2. In the open field, type supporttool and hit Enter or click OK. This will open the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit.
  3. Go to C(Uninstall) tab.
  4. Click number 5, after a minute click number 2.
  5. Wait for another minute, and click number 4.
  6. Open the Trend Micro program and check if the issue persists.

Let me know how it goes.

-TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

@tm_rochelle​ i have a same problem logo(named:trend micro maximum security) still on the taskbar!!!

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

Hi, zakeri.muhammad

Have you tried to install the latest version of Trend Micro program? Did you also try to follow the troubleshooting steps provided on this thread?

Awaiting for your response.

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

@tm_rochelle​ This is a waste of time as it does not resolve the issue. Issue Immediately comes back after a reboot. Stopping the task in task manager is NEVER a permanent fix and multiple people have already stated they reinstalled with the same issue, including me. 

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

2 years ago

Hi TM_Rochelle,

Thanks for responding to my post so quickly. I appreciate that.

When this issue started happening I actually did as you suggested: I tried to use Task Manager to close it. Unfortunately that didn't work. I got this message: "The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process." It doesn't appear to be doing anything; it just forgot to close that particular window.

This is when I closed it in the manner I mentioned above, ie right clicking the icon. This doesn't appear to effect the functioning of the program. The main console still opens and the scheduled scans still happen.

The solution of uninstalling/reinstalling the program is not a satisfactory one. This is never a process I enjoy; I become concerned that something will go wrong and I’ll be in deeper trouble. Perhaps you have a simpler solution or can find an update that will solve this issue.

Thanks for trying,

Andre'a

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

2 years ago

Hi stallingsdavid,

Can you try to check if uiwinmgr.exe is included in the startup apps?

To check:

1. Open Task Manger 
  2. Go to Startup tab

If it is on the list, please try to disable it and check if the issue still persist.

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

Hello @tm_angelo​ ,

Thanks for your response; it was quite educational.

I did as you suggested and checked the Task Manager's "Startup" tab and did not find uiWinMgr.exe there. I did, however, find "Platinum User Session Agent" published by Trend and status listed as enabled.

Under the "Processes" tab I see "Platinum User Session Agent". Also there are 5 other Trend Micro processes (it that's the right term) listed: 3 are listed as "Anti-Malware Solution Platform" (of which only one seems to be active), one is listed as "Browser Exploit Detection Engine" and one as "Client Session Agent Monitor".

Also, I did find uiWinMgr.exe listed 4 times under the "details" tab, each of which have different PID's and differing amounts of Memory. All 4 of these were listed as "disabled".

I also tried something else. I right clicked the icon on the taskbar and then from the dialogue box I right clicked the title "Trend Micro Maximum Security" and then picked "Properties". This is where I learned that the icon is actually a shortcut. Which makes sense to me now.

I appreciate you directing me to the TaskManager tabs. I have no understanding of how they work and am enjoying learning more.

Hopefully we can find a solution to this glitch.

Thanks again!

-Andre'a

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

This is a very annoying issue. I have contacted support to report this issue, but it still appears. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE. IT DOES NOT INSPIRE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR PRODUCT!!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

@efa11547​ 

Agreed!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

260 Points

@efa11547​ 

How did you contact Support? I've not found an easy way to do that. In essence I thought that was what I was doing here.

Thanks.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

So sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you, efa11547.We are currently checking it on our end and we'll let you know once it has been fixed. 

Hi, stallings.david! You may contact our other support channels here: Contact Trend Micro 

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

130 Points

@efa11547​ agreed!

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

2 years ago

I have been experiencing this issue for several weeks as well.  I'm also kind of tired of always being told to uninstall/reinstall the app when things like this [frequently] happen. Do you guys not test these updates before sending them out? Why do I always have to be the computer guy and fix your bugs? It's a bit frustrating to say the least. This message was posted in FEB and you're apparently still working on it.  Doesn't really seem like progress, now does it?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

Hi, majestyk_2K

Normally the Trend Micro icon can be seen on the system tray upon startup. Is it the same on your end?

If not, try doing a manual update of the program. Just simply select the Trend Micro logo and choose the option Check for Program Updates. After the update follow the steps on this guide: 

Trend Micro Security does not start or turn on

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

Yes the icon usually appears and disappears just as quick but that has stopped and the icon now stays in the taskbar but serves no purpose other than to take up space.  I've already updates the app several times and it's updated itself with "Critical updates" several times that have changed nothing. I've also performed a complete un/reinstall just to get that out of the way but again, no change. I find it odd you're telling people to disable things in the startup menu that aren't even in the startup. I feel like your knowledge of your own product is somewhat lacking and that's very discouraging.  After all this time you've still done zero actual research into the issue. 

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

2 years ago

The app always has an icon in the taskbar but it also puts a second one in the open apps section of the taskbar that does not go way or maximize unless I right click and close it. 

I have issues with Trend doing weird things or sucking up resources a couple times a year and end up having to reinstall it. I don't have to do that with ANY other apps. NONE of them.  But for you you guys, I always end up reinstalling 1-2 times per year at YOUR request because you can fix stuff on your own and it's getting really old. 
Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi majestyk_2k,

I have sent you an email where we can continue the troubleshooting, please confirm if you have received it. Thanks!

- TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

13 Messages

• 

340 Points

@tm_angelo Hopefully you can work through this with @majestyk_2k to find the root cause, and best resolution, then share the results with the rest of this group.

I too have been having the identical problem for a few months now.  The taskbar (bottom-right corner) is not the issue -- it's the 2nd "running" icon in the middle section of the other section which shows running apps that is the issue.  We can right-click close it and it goes away, but we have to do this on each reboot, and it's unclear why it is there in the first place.

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Hi, redrob.

Let us check on this further. I have sent you an email, please confirm if you have received it. Thanks!

- TM_Kim

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

@tm_angelo​ Unfortunately, after reading your previous responses, I can't bring myself to work with someone who knows less about the software than I do. I already know you're going to run me through a bunch of nonsense I've already done and frankly, I don't have time for that. 

Everything you've recommended is either basic troubleshooting or just completely wrong so I don't see what you're going to do to help me at this point. Unless you're one of the developers, which you're certainly not. 

Neophyte

• 

13 Messages

• 

340 Points

@majestyk_2k​ If you don't mind me paraphrasing what you're writing, you're asking support to please escalate to a supervisor or someone at a higher level who can get to the root cause of this problem, and get it fixed.  Yes?

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

TREND MICRO:

FIX THIS ISSUE, OR YOU ARE ABOUT TO LOOSE A VERY LONG TREM CUSTOMER, THAT USES TREND MICRO MOBILE SECURITY, TREND MICRO HOME SECURITY, AND TREND MICRO MAXIMUN SECURITY. MANY OTHER USERS HAVE THE SAME ISSUE,YET YOU HAVE NOT REMEDIED THIS ISSUE, AFTER MANY,MANY COMPLAINTS, AND MANY OTHER CONSUMERS WILL LEAVE IF THIS IS NOT FIXED!!!!

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Apologies for the inconvenience, efa11547.

I have sent you an email, so we can assist you further. We will be waiting for your response.

- TM_Kim 

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

To tm_ kim:

Sent you a reply email. Have been down this road before, with non satisfactory outcome. SIMPLY FIX THIS ISSUE PLEASE.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

We'll assist you via email to resolve your concern, efa11547. We apologize for the inconveniences.

-TM_Rochelle

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

SORRY TREND MICRO, LAST CHANCE: FIX THE ISSUE, OR LOOSE A VERY LONG TIME CUSTOMER, WHO USES ALL YOUR SOFTWARE. UP UNTIL RECENTLY, A GREAT PRODUCT, BUT TOO MANY CRACKS STARTING TO APPEAR. RESTORE YOUR CUSTOMERS FAITH IN YOUR PRODUCTS, BY SIMPLY FIXING ISSUES THE CONSUMERS ARE REPORTING TO YOU.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

Hi, efa11547 

An email has been sent to you regarding your concern. A further investigation will be needed to determine what is causing the problem. We would appreciate if you replied to the email so that we can be of further assistance to you.   

Thank you for you cooperation.

- TM_Rochelle

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

Have sent a reply email, with contact details. I have been through this exercise before, with no satisfactory outcome. Waiting to see if TREND MICRO have do anything to improve their ability to fix this issue. I honestly have my doubts, but would love to be proved wrong!!!

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Hi, efa11547.

I have sent you a reply confirming the exact time of our callback. Let us assist you from there.

- TM_Kim

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

@tm_kim​ Reply confirmed, with amended callback time. 

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

758 Messages

• 

13.5K Points

Thank you for you response, efa11547

We'll schedule the callback on your preferred time to check your device. Thank you!

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

13 Messages

• 

340 Points

2 years ago

I'm happy to see call-backs and troubleshooting being scheduled.  Someone opened a private issue for me to resolve as well, but I simply don't have time to help find this bug right now.  

Since so many are having this problem, please do share whatever is found in the troubleshooting being done -- if it's a setting to change for people experiencing the problem, or a bug that's been identified and being fixed.

Thank you!

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

1 and 1/2 hours wasted on the phone, reinstall, and still having the same issue. Appears TEND MICRO have no answer for this issue.  Leaves one wondering about the quality of all their products. They were once TOP QUALITY, but now, appears not to be so. Waiting for another call back, with yet another attempt to fix this issue.

Neophyte

• 

11 Messages

• 

240 Points

2 years ago

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled several times, in addition to installing what the app referred to as "critical updates" but the issue is still there after every boot. I'm not sure I can trust my antivirus if it's not even functioning properly.  I feel like this should have been addressed by now seeing as it's clearly an issue experienced by multiple customers. 

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

@majestyk_2k​ Agree, this is getting way beyond a joke. Why would you trust any company that can't even fix a simple issue, to protect you in a world full of IT viruses, scams, etc? They have had more than enough feedback on this issue, but appear to have NO ANSWER. They are worse than than the Medical Profession at the Moment: "Take this Medicine, and if that don't work, we'll try something else".. They need a BIG SHAKE UP!!!

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

2 attempts 2 fix, escalated to High Priority, sent in Logs with a Tech, higher up the food chain: Will contact me with "Recommendations" by a pre arranged call back time, waited for 2 hours after arranged call back time, no phone call!!!

As well as having no answer, they have not advanced any further with the solution to the icon issue. Pathetic, hopeless ,full of "Sorry", and Apologies. Appears that is the same story with many customers. PATHETIC! PATHETIC! PATHETIC!

Trust TREND MICRO: NO WAY, WALK AWAY.

And if this offends you, TREND MICRO, imagine how we feel as customers. 

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

TREND MICRO have just wasted another hour of my time, THEY HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX THIS ISSUE, WALK AWAY FROM THIS USLESS COMPANY: HOW CAN YOU TRUST ANYBODY THAT CAN'T FIX A SIMPLE ISSUE.

Hustler

• 

81 Messages

• 

2.1K Points

2 years ago

To whom it may concern: and pass this email on to senior management.

WHAT SOLUTION?

I have never received any solution, yesterday, day before or any time recently, only  system generated emails asking “if the solution we provided yesterday has helped resolve your concern.”

And as far as sitting through another call back, I have wasted enough time, been through Reinstalls, Logs sent, other attempts suggested, with no improvement of the situation.

I appreciate the extension to my subscription by TREND MICRO, but the honest truth is:

If they can’t fix a simple issue after hours of time spent with a consumer, who has more than co-operated with them to date, but who has run out of patience,  would you yourself trust their software to protect you ?

Come on Team, how many goes at fixing this issue do you need?

AND DO NOT SEND ME ANY MORE SYSTEM GENERATED EMAILS: YOU HAVE MY PHONE NUMBER, CALL ME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE A SOLUTION.

Kind Regards

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights