matternu's profile

4 Messages

• 

212 Points

Thursday, February 22nd, 2018 3:36 PM

Closed

Hit w/ Ransomware

I have Trend Maximum , one of my computers was hit w/ a Ransomware. What happens now that I tried to do a system restore . My computer is stuck ,just keeps restarting. What should I do now?

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

6 years ago

-I'm not a Trend Micro representative, but I i like to give you some suggestion-

Are you sure it is a Ransomware? Are your files encrypted? Can I know wich is the files extension? 
A screen appears asking you to pay? Obviously, do not do it.

Restarts continously is a hardware failure symptom (or viral conseguence), not a ransomware typical attack result. 

In case of Ransomware attack the solution is a restore, do you have an external storage with a backup? 

125 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

6 years ago

Hi matternu and welcome to the Community!

I would like to know more information about what happened. Can you explain how did you know that it was ransomware? What was the activity you were doing on your computer during the time you encountered it? Does it give you any message when restarting the computer?

We'll wait for your response regarding this one. Thank you.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

4 Messages

• 

212 Points

6 years ago

Did not write down the phone # that was asking for money ,the computer is a family member of mine that was staying over . I do have the computer under my plan . I could kick myself that I did not get the #. I did a system restore ,now it is stuck , just keeps restarting . I checked the thread ,the fix is to download win 10 . I went to windows to get a copy ,via USB ,giving me a tough time ,won't let me ,error . formatted the drive ,tried again . What I a worried about we are on the same network ,I don't need it to effect my computer 

4 Messages

• 

212 Points

6 years ago

Hi,  I finally got the win 10 download , changed the boot on affected computer ,downloading now . Hope it works 
Brand User

63 Messages

• 

1.5K Points

6 years ago

Hi matternu!

It is possible that what you got was just a Tech Support Scam and not a Ransomware. Below are some symptoms of having a Tech Support Scam just to clear things whether you had a Ransomware attack or just a Tech Support Scam Message only.

• Telling you have an error and needs to fix it as soon as possible 
• Displaying a fake Tech support scam contact number 
• Displaying a price to pay to fix contrived device, platform, or software problems/error
• Comes with an alarming sound ( sometimes )
• Can't move your mouse or can't close the scam page ( for some cases )

If what you had these nasty behavior before, It means that you had a Tech Support Scam and not a Ransomware attack. Tech Support Scam messages are not in general dangerous if you know what to do when you get one. It gets dangerous when you click on a link they displayed or called the number on the message and let them control your computer. It is better to call a Trend Micro Representative to tell you what to do. The cure is very easy and won't need to do a system restore or reformat your computer. 

For now, I hope you succeed on reformatting your computer. 

All the best,

4 Messages

• 

212 Points

6 years ago

Thank you 

177 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

6 years ago

Hello @matternu,

You are welcome! Shouldyou have further questions, please let us know so that we can assist youfurther.

Have a great week ahead!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights