Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

Thursday, November 9th, 2017 2:18 PM

Closed

Facebook

Running Windows 7  on Dell XPS - Trend Micro AnitVirus+ My computer has been crashing while I am scrolling around on Facebook - nothing comes up on a scan

29 Messages

• 

576 Points

7 years ago

Hi dr, Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for posting your concern here. Let me help you on this one.

Since you mentioned that nothing comes up when you run a scan, even if your computer has been crashing while scrolling around on Facebook. I would like to gather some information for us to fully understand the root cause of your issue.

Kindly answer the following on the thread below:

1.     Aside from Facebook, is there any other website that you encounter the same issue with?

2.     Are you just experiencing this on one browser, let’s say for example on your Google Chrome alone?

3.     Also, are you just encountering this on one specific computer only?

We are looking forward to hear from you again.

Thank you and have a great day!

Trend Micro Home Users Community 

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

7 years ago

Hello, thanks for replying. The crash always happens on Facebook, and not immediatrly. I have only tried the Firefox browser, and I only have the one computer, no other devices. I will try using other browsers and see what happens. Recently, on one of the crashes, all my passwords that were saved disappeared. I am changing them since I have to reenter them all.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

260 Messages

• 

5.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi @dr,

Thank you for the response.

Just to clarify, do you have the Trend Micro toolbar enabled on your browser? Also, have you tried disabling your Trend Micro program temporarily and then access Facebook to see if the issue will disappear? 

Let us know your updates about this.

Have a great day! :)

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

7 years ago

Hi I was not able to find anything regarding enabling the anti-virus on Firefox. I decided to try Google Chrome and see what happened. So far no crashes. I downloaded a new version of Firefox and bam - crashed again! I uninstalled Firefox. Using Chrome. (??)

Superstar

• 

376 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

Hi dr

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

How about disabling the Trend Micro program? We just need to know if the issue with Firefox is somehow related with the program. 

But if you do not want to install it again, that's fine as well. 

Just let us know if there's anything else that we can help you with. 

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

OK - The same thing happened with Google this morning so apparently it is not just Firefox  (??)

485 Messages

• 

10.6K Points

7 years ago

Hello dr ! Sorry for the delayed response.

We would just like to clarify on what do you mean by "Crashing". Is the browser that you are using does not respond and advises you that it will be closed down?

Also, we can try to further isolate this by temporarily disabling the Trend Micro Toolbar on those browsers or the Trend Micro program as well and see if it will have the same problem. You can do the temporary disable by Pressing and Holding the Windows Key on your keyboard and then hit the R button once. This will open the Run command. On the blank space, kindly type in supporttool.exe then hit Run or OK. If it asks for your permission that it will make changes, click on Yes, or  OK, or Continue. 

On the tool that will open, proceed with the Uninstall Tab (C), then click on the Stop All Components button then try replicating the problem.

Let us know what happens or if the crash persists. Make sure to enable the Trend Micro protection again by clicking on Start All Components again so you will be protected.

We are looking forward for your response.

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

7 years ago

When I say crashing - I get the blue screen and a memory dump and then it asks me if I want to restart normally or in safe mode. I have restarted both ways. I will try what you suggested as soon as i am able. Thank you

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi dr,

Can you tell us the text of the error in the BSOD, i think it has nothing to do with TM but you have a problem with a driver, memory or Hard-drive.
Did you have the latest updates of your OS and drivers?

Here from you.
Kind regards,
Tom

485 Messages

• 

10.6K Points

7 years ago

Hello dr! Thanks for your prompt response and for clarifying the issue that you are having.

Thank you Tom Emmelot for the input. We really appreciate the help.

We understand that what you are experiencing is not just a simple crash but rather a BSOD (Blue Screen) issue when the Trend Micro program is enabled.

To help you further, we will need your help in checking if you have recently updated your Operating System (through Windows Update) and if you are familiar with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

You may check your update history for the following details (if there are any). You may click on this link and then check if any of the scenarios apply.

Getting BSOD in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update with Trend Micro Security

Respective solutions are included as well. Please feel free to follow the steps on the procedure that you see fit.

I am looking forward to your response and I hope everything will be all set in the soonest time possible.

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

7 years ago

Window just updated before I got the blue screen again this morning. I am running Windows 7. The next time it happens I will copy the message. Why is it only happening on Facebook if it is a driver?

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

262 Messages

• 

5K Points

7 years ago

Hi dr,

We will be waiting for the blue screen error message regarding your concern.

We are still unsure regarding the relation of the computer driver and Facebook website or if another software is being run on the background that you are not aware of and it is the one causing the blue screen.

May we know as well if you have disabled the Trend Micro program before testing if you will experience the blue screen after accessing the Facebook web page?

Thank you and have a great week!

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi Dr,

Personal i think it is your Graphical driver or memory and it happens on Facebook because of the movies and pictures passing by.
Hope that you make notice of the error

Kind regards,
Tom

Superstar

• 

376 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi Tom Emmelot

Thanks for helping us here! 

Hi dr,

We will wait for your response with the screen shots so we can further analyze the issue. 

Thank you and have a great week!

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

222 Points

7 years ago

I believe you were probably right about the graphical driver. Windows did more updates and I have not had a problem with crashing on Facebook. Downloaded Firefox new version and that works as well. Thanks for all the help!

83 Messages

• 

1.3K Points

7 years ago

Hi dr,

It's nice to know that everything's all good. We will now be tagging this case as solved.

Have a great day!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights