Legend

• 

358 Messages

• 

11.2K Points

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 2:52 AM

Closed

"Computer Infected" Scam

I just watched on a MAJOR news network a warning about the "Your computer is infected" scam which has been so common here at the TM home users community. It said that the FBI investigated about 17 MILLION of these complaints between January and September of 2017. WOW! I knew there were a lot, but not that many. Just a heads-up and confirmation of how widespread this scam really is. Stay safe with your Trend Micro security, and don't let anyone other than a trusted Trend Micro support tech, whom you call for assistance (not the other way around), ever take control of your device.

Prodigy

• 

167 Messages

• 

3.8K Points

7 years ago

Hello woodartisan55 and thank you for this information.

The technical support scam really became an epidemic since people behind them sound convincing when they say that their victim has a malware or problem on the computer. To combat this epidemic, we have added a feature on the Trend Micro program that checks a website if there is a phone number that is suspicious and warns our users to not call the number or interact with the people behind the Tech Support Scam. We really appreciate your post here since you are correct that people should be the ones to call their rightful security software providers and not the other way around.

Once again thank you very much.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi Justine and wood,

Here they call first and say they are doing a survey as  a student of a university and try to know , how old you are and if you have a rend or own home and also if you have a computer and some other questions. Than a week later  you got the call from the so said "Microsoft Employee" that they find out you got a virus on your PC! I got this already 3 times myself, so there must be multiply groups that makes that call!
Ones i let the person on the phone for half hour, i did as of my hearing and English was poor, so let them repeat  and repeat till they ask for the password to get with Teamviewer on my system, then i told him that i am not crazy and give them all the English  swear words that i know.

So pay attention to all kind of phone-call's and never let them do anything on your computer!!!

Kind regards,
Tom
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

176 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi woodartisan55,

Thanks for raising the awareness. 
Yeah, they've been around for sometime now. We've been reporting and blocking suspected Fake Tech Support websites since. The latest version of Trend Micro Security now has capability to detect a suspicious Tech Support Scam page and will alert you with a pop-up. 

As Tom said, pay attention to phone calls :)

Check out the warning signs and how to avoid them on these articles:
http://www.trendmicro.tw/vinfo/us/security/news/online-privacy/offline-cyber-threats-how-to-spot-a-t...
https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/news/cybercrime-and-digital-threats/surging-tech-suppor...

^erza

Legend

• 

358 Messages

• 

11.2K Points

7 years ago

Thank you Tom and erza for putting additional information out here. I neglected to mention that in the newscast along with the 17 million FBI-involved cased, it cost those users an estimated 21 Million dollars (U.S.). They also mentioned "pop-up" ads as a source to get an unwary user to click on and start the process of being scammed.

I also got to thinking: How many cases went unreported?

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

176 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi woodartisan55,

Could you point me to an article about it?
Rest assured, we are strengthening our solution against Tech Support Scam day after day :)

^erza

Superstar

• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

7 years ago

In Italy I noticed that scams attempts by phone are not so used. Probably does not exist.

Obviously there are a lot of web treats, but usually there are not fake Microsoft support or any other kind of people trying scamming you by phone.
I really do not know why... 

Here there is the Energy and GAS scam: if you not pay attention, they scamming you by replacing your energy-gas provider... 
It is the same, but here does not exist 'informatic' scam, where the target is your computer, I mean. 

Anyway It is funny to view 'anti-scam' people videos on Youtube! XD

Legend

• 

358 Messages

• 

11.2K Points

7 years ago

erza: I can't get you a link as this was on the "Consumer Watchdog" section of a television news broadcast, but again, I could not believe how widespread it is. The best I can do is point you to ABC news. channel 7, San Francisco, Ca. U.S.

And yesterday Tom (above) commented on another thread of a report of another scam in Britain, "fake-bank", and also above, Max Slo and the energy and gas scam.

These people will do anything to take money from you anywhere in the world.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights