pnk2525's profile

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 6:26 PM

Closed

Suspicious startup looks like Trend Micro

I get a startup message that looks sort of like Trend Micro. Is it really malware? Will you identify the source for me?

Unable to find locale data files.

(how does one upload a jpg? I have a screenshot)

125 Messages

• 

3.1K Points

6 years ago

Hi pnk2525 and welcome to the Community! 

Kindly attach the screenshot of the startup message along with your comment using the upload button shown below so that we can have a check on it.

We'll wait for your response. Thank you!

Trend Micro Home Users Community

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

6 years ago

screenshot with arrow to the icon

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

6 years ago

Hi pnk2525

I think a reinstall of TM wil do the trick, maybe a new download to?
And i did not see the TM icon in the tray, why?

Kind regards,
Tom

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

6 years ago

TM says it's up to date. Is the mystery Icon (red swirl with a lower case t) from TM or not? (see image in previous reply). I'm not reinstalling unless you are owning the mystery icon. 

TM is in the tray with a dozen more, not on the taskbar.

The following is the curent status screen.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

6 years ago

Hi pnk2525

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

Looks fine to me! Normal is 1 icon in the tray! but you must set the tray icon to always visible!

Kind regards,
Tom
Brand User

Legend

• 

703 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

6 years ago

Hello pnk2525!

Thank you for providing us with the screenshot that we've asked for and apologies for the delay in our reply.

Going back to the concern, the icon that you see on your Task bar upon start up is indeed a Trend Micro software. That icon is for the Trend Micro Password Manager.

If you are experiencing the pop up error message every time the icon appears on your Task bar, you can simply uninstall it if you are not using it. You may refer to the steps below:

• Openthe Run Console by pressing the Windows button and letter “R” both at the sametime
  • Oncethe Run Console is open, please type: appwiz.cpl
  • Doing that will open up a window that lists down all of the installed applications on your computer. Please look for Trend Micro Password Manager and then uninstall the software.
I hope this helps! Should you have any other concern, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

6 years ago

Looks like that's got it.  Thanks.
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

262 Messages

• 

5K Points

6 years ago

Hi pnk2525,

May I know if there is anything else that we can assist you with?

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

All OK. Thanks

127 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

Hi pnk2525

You're very much welcome. Shouldyou have further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

6 years ago

It's back.

Here's the program directory. Any suggestion up to editing the resistry? Win7 Pro.

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

6 years ago

Hi pnk2525

It looks like the Trend Micro Password Manager is successfully removed from your computer because it is not in the list. The two that remained are the Maximum Security which is the security software itself and the Troubleshooting Tool which is a tool used by our support representatives if the need arise. I strongly suggest not to remove it. 

I hope this clarifies the concern. Have a great week ahead! :) 

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

The problem is the warning pops up on startup. I'm getting the original

Unable to find locale data files.

While I know it's harmless, it is annoying. Is there a way to suppress whatever stub of Password Manager that is running? Are the updates putting something back in?

Superstar

• 

376 Messages

• 

7.3K Points

Hello pnk2525

Thanks for your patience here and we apologize for the inconvenience. 

Can you please try to perform the steps on the link below so we can be sure that the Password Manager will be removed completely on your device? 
Uninstalling Password Manager

Click on For Windows to see the complete instructions. 

Another option to remove Password Manager from the apps that will run during Startup. Check the steps below: 
1. Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard at the same time.
2. Type this command: msconfig
3. A small window will appear about your System Configuration, click on Startup.
4. Look for Password Manager on the list and check if it is enabled, disable it if it is. 

I hope this helps.

Have a wonderful day! 

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

Not in startup, but I found and disabled it in services. Two restarts and OK so far.

9 Messages

• 

220 Points

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights