• 

245 Messages

• 

9.7K Points

Monday, December 11th, 2017 1:08 PM

Closed

Scam: what to do and what NOT to do

-I'm not a Trend Micro representative, but I like to give you some suggestions-

1- Be aware if a 'technician' contact you because your PC is infected. This people tell you that you need help and try to connect remotly to your device using several kind of remote software:
- TeamViewer
- Supremo
- web based remote desktop service

Doe not allow anyone to connect to your computer, unless this is a Trend Micro representative, that you contacted via assistance portal. 

NEVER use a remote desktop software to allows anyone to connect, unless you are pretty sure that he/she is a real technical representative. In any case, a real techcnical representative will use a proprietary software to connect, does not ask you to install Teamviewer, Supremo or any other kind of this stuff...

2- Remember that Bank, Financial offices and any other kind of institute will NEVER ask you to fill, confirm, send and/or specify any kind of personal data via email. 
Never do that.
Contact directly via phone your Bank to confirm the procedure, and do that personally at the desk, if applicable. 

3- If your device shows you a message like, or similar to: 'your pc is infected! Contact us to repair it at 123-456-7890' use properly softwares to scan your PC.
This is 100% a fraud attempt! 

Be aware on your Trend Micro messages: if after a complete scan it shows no issues, then your device is reasonably clean. 

4- Scam usually is an attempt to fraud you via a pop-up message (or a fake web page) that indicates your PC is infected. This page/pop-up reports a number to call to access 'assistance'. Never use this number.

Report a scam attempt filling data at following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam

5- In any case of doubt if a request is legitim or not, contact your local assistance representative prior to allos anyone to remotly interacte with your PC. 

So, what to do when your are prompted with a strange pop-up, web page? 
Nothing, absolutely nothing.
Plan a complete scan with your Trend solution and check what it report when finished. 

As usual, sorry for my typos and for my... italianenglish! :)

485 Messages

• 

10.6K Points

7 years ago

Hello Max Slo

Thank you so much for this wonderful help! We really appreciate the effort that you have exerted to share this idea.

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights