Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

120 Points

Friday, October 12th, 2018 9:55 PM

Closed

updating

Hi. I installed Trend Micro last week and now notice that it does not update automatically. It did do so after I opened Trend and pressed update. Should it be updating each time I turn on my internet? Thanks

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

6 years ago

Hi mike.hudle

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

Normally TM is updating in the background, only program updates there you get a warning.
I dont know why you think that TM is not updating? If you click on update it is always possible that just on that moment there is a update, that is not saying that it not automatic update.
You can see the updates and versions if you open the console and click on the triangle with the person and the "About the Software"

Hope this helps, here from you.

Kind regards,
Tom

Hustler

• 

57 Messages

• 

1K Points

6 years ago

The only way to know Trend is running & updated is to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR & update as soon as you boot up.  When done, DO NOT CLOSE---BUT MINIMIZE.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

6 years ago

Hi SEAMANALAN

If i start my PC TM is up and running! This is normal behavior if the program is installed proper way!
So you suggest that i close it down again, and then start it up as a administrator???
I installed TM with admin rights on so it starts already as a administrator every time i start my PC, like everybody els!
Then after a while i got this in the tray!

And that means it is all up and running!

So again i ask you are you running 2019 version and did you change the startup like i show you?
Hope to get a answer from you this time.

Kind regards,
Tom

Hustler

• 

57 Messages

• 

1K Points

I am the first to plead Guilty to being a computer dummy. I live in Costa Rica, where the only access to the outside world is my computer. My advice comes not from my many years' experience with Trend, but from the fact that I have never had anything on my computer to wreck it---& that is why I have Trend. But I do NOT close & reopen the Trend program.

I'm not smart enough to tell anyone what to do with a computer, but I know what has always worked for me: When my computer boots up, Trend is not in my toolbar. I have no idea whether-or-not it is working. When I right-click on the Trend icon & RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, Trend appears on my toolbar & I assume it is working. When I click to UPDATE & it downloads an update, I know it did not do so on its own. When I minimize, Trend remains in my toolbar.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi SEAMANALAN

Can you update to the last version and then come back to me if the icon is not in the tray?
You find the 2019 version here
If the install went alright and the icon is there, take it from me (on PC computers since 1997 and home computers before that) TM is up and running!!  ;)
Good luck and here from you, if you need me you may Skype me, tom_emmelot

Kind regards,
Tom

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi SEAMANALAN

You actually don't have to manually run the Trend Micro program each and everytime you boot up your computer. It should run automatically. I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of the program. Here's how: 

Upgrading Trend Micro Internet Security to the latest version

^X

Hustler

• 

57 Messages

• 

1K Points

I have waited to respond until I now do have the Trend update. It took a couple days of restarts to start working properly. This morning, as always, I booted up, ran Trend as Administrator, & updated. Perhaps, as you say, Trend would have eventually updated for me---but I want my computer protected with the latest version from the get-go. I also want to see the Trend icon in my toolbar. After all the horror stories in the news, I am just thankful that my computer continues to function properly & doing things manually is no big deal.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi SEAMANALAN

Can you make a screenshot like this!

Kind regards,
Tom

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

6 years ago

Hi m,

The Trend Micro program checks and installs updates every three hours. Unless there's an important update that needs your permission or attention, it will not notify you. Are you able to post a screenshot of the Trend Micro main console when you open it? If you always have to do it manually, there might be an issue. In the meantime, I suggest you follow Tom's suggestion on his first comment. This will allow you to check if you have the latest version of the software installed. 

^X

7 Messages

• 

264 Points

5 years ago

Hi,

But there is not update when user logon ?

For example on the screen last update 20 November, we are 21 November and it is 2hours my computer running.

So soon 24h without automatic update ?

Why it is every 3hours and not 3 hours after last update?

And there is stream-update as Eset or Avast ?

Thank you
Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

5 years ago

Hello Arnaud Vacquier and welcome to the Trend Micro Community!

The Trend Micro program was programmed to check for updates every 3 hours that is for both Pattern Update and Program Update, however, that doesn't mean that a new update is released every 3 hours, the update process was designed that way to make sure that the Patter Update for Virus Detection can be deployed in real time.

The program will also give you a "Protection Outdated" error message if there's a problem with the update process or if the program has the old update.

Hope this helps.

<Kree>

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights