Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 6:26 AM

Closed

Trend Micro not detecting xyz popup virus

I've recently gotten a popup virus on my computer that will show up on my desktop when I start up the computer and every hour or so after that. It sihows news articles and the popup advertises the website iklik.xyz. I did a fullscan with my Trend Micro and it didn't find anything wrong.

Edit: I'll post a screenshot when it pops up gain

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

5 years ago

Hi outback10

Looks like a PUA, what you installed with your permission!
Uninstalling Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA)
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1105484.aspx?cm_mmc=Community-_-S...
Resetting your web browser for performance and website redirection issues
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1096707.aspx
Hope this helps, here from you.

Kind regards,
Tom

Prodigy

• 

206 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

5 years ago

Hi outback10,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes. Please provide a screenshot so we can easily identify the root cause of the issue.

You may also try our free tool specialized in malware detection.
Download it here:
Scanning your computer using Trend Micro HouseCall (For Home Users)

Regards,
Joemar

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

5 years ago

Also in response to Tom Emmelot, I don't have any recently downloaded programs from untrusted sources that would cause this, except for possibly two microsoft updates titled "Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus - en-us" and "Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)" which were installed two days ago, both have Microsoft Corporation as the pubilsher.

I didn't manually installing those but I assumed they were legitimate updates. Could those be the issue?

Edit: Also housecall found no issues with my computer.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi outback10

The only way you can get this PUA (no Virus), is by side installing with a other program!!
Timesindia.xyz must be in the programs list to uninstall , but the name is on-none, but must be installed lately!
If you uninstalled already then follow this.
Resetting your web browser for performance and website redirection issues
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1096707.aspx

Kind regards,
Tom

Prodigy

• 

206 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

5 years ago

Hi outback10,

I don't think that those two programs would be the cause of the issue.
Do you have any luck on taking a screenshot of the popup? If yes, please attach it here so we can have a look at it.

Also, can you screenshot the installed programs on your computer, there might be an installed program that might cause it.

Regards,
Joemar

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

I already attached a screenshot of the popup but will attach it again here. Also here's a screenshot of my installed items sorted by date installed but again I'm familiar with every item on there (except for things from Microsoft or Intel but again I'm assuming those are okay).

And again this has only been going on for a few days. So unless the PUA got onto my computer months ago and has remained dormant until now there's nothing I recently installed on this machine, program or download or otherwise, that would coincide with the PUA's sudden appearance. 

There also isn't any suspiciously named program, xyz format or otherwise, anywhere in my installed Programs and Features

Hustler

• 

61 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

5 years ago

Hi outback10

Try running a scan using the Anti-Threat Toolkit which you can download from here: Anti-Threat Toolkit 

Please tell us the support ID that you will get after the scan so that we can check it on our end as well. 

Regards, 
Mac

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

The program found no threats. The temporary ID number is 1235.

I haven't received a popup in the last few hours, during which I've restarted my computer. Maybe it somehow got deleted without any of these programs telling me?

Edit: The popup's still here, nevermind what I said about it leaving haha

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

Have you looked at the scan on your side?

Prodigy

• 

206 Messages

• 

3.6K Points

Hi outback10,

Upon checking on the log files, it seems that there is a fileless malware which infected the computer. However, the Anti-threat Toolkit must have removed that malware after the scan.
Have you deleted the malware detected using the Anti-threat toolkit after the scan?

Regards,
Joemar

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

I have run the scan twice a day ago but the popup is still on my computer (as shown in the picture). I'm running the scan a third time.

This scan also showed there was nothing wrong with the computer. Same temp ID number of 1235.

Edit: The popup is no longer going away. It used to just go away after a few minutes but it stays on my screen for over 30 now.

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

280 Points

I didn't realize the original scan was a quick scan. I did a full scan and it found 9 issues which it deleted. I restarted my computer and (hopefully) the problem is fixed.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights