C
 Superstar

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Monday, April 22nd, 2024 10:21 PM

Why TM scores poorly in AV Comparatives?

On each and every test , TM scores very poorly , around 97%. 

Why is that and why no improvements????

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

3 months ago

see here.....

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Anyone????

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Anyone????

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

28 Messages

• 

610 Points

2 months ago

Hi @claudiubotezatu,

We are very sorry for the late response.

The reason that Trend Micro's score is low compared to other Antivirus in the AV Comparatives is that the samples used in the AV Comparatives Malware Protection Test include both recent in-the-wild malware and also aging malware that has not been seen in the last 6 months and older. Those missed samples are inactive or dormant in-the-wild malware which has been dropped from our detection patterns.

With this said, we are more focused on real user detection whereas the AV Comparatives Malware Protection Test focuses on malware protection.

Hope this helps!

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@tm_vlad​ 

your explanation contradicts AV-Comparatives statement:

"The test set used for this test consisted of 10,053 malware samples, assembled after consulting telemetry data with the aim of including recent, prevalent samples that are endangering users in the field.

The sample collection process was stopped mid of February 2024. All products were installed on a fully up-to-date 64-Bit Microsoft Windows 10 system. Products were tested at the beginning of March with default settings and using their latest updates."

Additionally, 6 month old malwares are not considered "dormant" by any antivirus on the market; all AVs tested scored significantly better than TM,

including the free Windows Defender.

(edited)

Superstar

• 

207 Messages

• 

6.4K Points

@tm_vlad​ I agree that TM should improve this situation with regard to malware based detection. "Those malwares which are old and not seen recently are dropped from our detection patterns" . Maybe TM needs to learn something from Kaspersky (Kaspersky Security Network), Bitdefender or Norton etc over how to maintain database and improve detection percentage in tests conducted by AV comparatives or any other tests.

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

20 days ago

I have a question here as well, just to understand Trend Micro better. Although I could ask in the business part of the community too, but here the subject is already initiated.

I could also find the Smart Scan patent on Justia and read in depth :-)

So, the poor detection rate certainly has got something to do with the Smart Scan (using 2 seperate patterns). It looks like Smart Scan Agent Pattern needs to flag something suspicious and at that point the full definition will be retrieved from the server. Is that how it works?

Also, how do you decide which malware to drop? Because ransomware can wreak havoc even when it is very old. Infostealers may have dead C&Cs, but a lot of them possess an update function. Do you check these C&Cs using an automated system? Or do you just automatically clean up everything >6 months of age? I am very curious how the cleanup decision is taken (though I understand you may wish not to disclose).

Why some sort of hash-based detection is not still maintained on TM smart protection network?

Malicious files, even when old, should have reputation different than "safe". In that case, ATSE should be called on these files. Is PML not getting trained to detect these samples?

I understand that pattern needs to be minimalistic and requires maintenance, but why other layers don't cover these threats, such as behavioural analysis and policy enforcement?

(edited)

Hotshot

• 

31 Messages

• 

642 Points

20 days ago

I tested TM against some malware samples (Hypersensitive mode enabled).

1. Some samples were identified by TM malware signatures.

2. Some samples were first blocked by "Suspicious behavior detected" and then by signatures.

3. Some samples were blocked by "suspicious behavior detected" and no signature detection afterwards.

In case "1", local signature database is used? In case "2" no local database signature found, but cloud lookup flagged it?

I also do like to know how Hypersensitive mode actually works? Is it some kind of a "default-deny" method?

What i also do like to see when a program gets flagged by "Suspicious behavior blocked", why it gets blocked? Malformed PE-header? DLL sideloading? So what was the reason it gets blocked.

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@kotilainenseppo​ 

I did test TM with samples from "Malwarebazaar"  in hypersensitive mode.

Most of them were detected on execution as "suspicios" , but not all .

What puzzles me the most   , in AV Comparatives test from Mar2024 , they used 10,053 malwares collected one month in advance and offered TM the possibility to detect them on access and execution.

TM failed miserably , with a detection rate of 97%, while Microsoft (free) had 99.94% detection rate.

Yet, nobody from TM bothered to investigate or answer in any meaningful way.

Hotshot

• 

31 Messages

• 

642 Points

Was your system compromised, when you tested TM against your malwaere samples?

Don't be silly about AVC testing procedure vs TM. The Real World results is all about to protect the system. TM is very, very good about that.

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@kotilainenseppo​ 

"Was your system compromised, when you tested TM against your malwaere samples?"

No, I just did it out of curiosity.

TM scores very well in "Real World results", but so does Microsoft Defender, so why pay for something which , overall performs worse than a free solution?

Hotshot

• 

31 Messages

• 

642 Points

So be happy with the "Defender".  I'm happy with my TM.

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@kotilainenseppo​ 

malformed PE header is not detected by behavioural blocking, this is static analysis’ job. 

When you go to the logs, you can see which rule exactly triggered the block in some cases. More information is displayed in business products but to home users it is irrelevant. 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights