Latest Release: Trend Micro Security 17.8.1121 for Windows is Here! Stay ahead of cyber threats!
Trend Security Expert
Walmart Fraud and Scams: What They Are and How to Stay Safe
If you shop at Walmart regularly, you may think you know how to spot a good deal. Are you aware of how to identify a scam, though? Scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to trick Walmart customers into giving them their personal or financial information.
In this article, we will reveal the latest Walmart frauds and scams and how to protect yourself from them.
4864370221 — Mystery Shopper Scam
The mystery shopper scam is when scammers pretend to hire you as a Walmart mystery shopper and send you a fake check or money order to deposit into your bank account. They then ask you to buy Walmart gift cards with some of that money and send them the card numbers or photos of the cards. They claim this is part of your evaluation of Walmart’s customer service.
However, this is a scam because:
- The check or money order they send you is counterfeit and will bounce after a few days, leaving you responsible for paying back your bank.
- Walmart does not use mystery shoppers or send unsolicited offers by email, mail, or phone.·Walmart does not ask for personal or financial information from customers.
- If you receive such an offer, you should delete it or report it to Walmart’s fraud department.
- You should also be careful not to click on any links or attachments in suspicious emails.
What are ways to protect yourself?
- Avoid opening or replying to unsolicited emails that urge you to become a mystery shopper or secret shopper. Also, avoid clicking on links in emails or text messages that you did not solicit.
- Refrain from depositing any checks you receive by mail from a "mystery shopping" company, as no reputable business will request payment in advance and ask for a portion of the funds to be returned.
- Make it a habit to regularly review your credit report and bank statements.·Log onto your Walmart.com account to check your order status if you receive a suspicious email.
- Do not click on or engage with online advertisements or websites that promise free gift cards.
Walmart Phishing Scam
What are ways to protect yourself?
- Check the sender’s email address or phone number before opening any message. The official email address for Walmart.com is firstname.lastname@example.org and the official phone number is 1-800-925-6278. If the message comes from a different address or number, it is likely a scam.
- You should also never click on any links in suspicious messages. Instead, you can track your real orders from Walmart by logging into your account on their website or app. You can also contact their customer service directly using their official contact information.
How to Stay Safe from Frauds and Scams
- Be vigilant when it comes to URLs. Check if the web addresses are authentic and trustworthy.
- Verify the identity of the person who sent you a text message or an email.
- Be suspicious of any offers that claim you won something for free.
- Use the official website or app instead of clicking on links from strangers.
- Avoid opening links or files from unknown sources. Use Trend Micro Check to browse the web safely (it’s free!).
- Protect your devices with Trend Micro Maximum Security. It has features that can help you prevent scams and cyberattacks.
- Consider getting identity theft protection. Trend Micro ID Security provides comprehensive internet and dark web monitoring. The app will alert you if any of your personal information is being sold or distributed online by cybercriminals.
A crucial reminder for all: Always bear in mind that if something seems too good to be true, it is most likely not true!
Have you encountered this problem before?
Join the discussion!
Sign in or create an account.