Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Thursday, November 16th, 2023 2:07 AM

Closed

update today wiped out the installation

Well, turned my computer on today, TM did an update and first removed the current installation, then only installed the password manager, rebooted the computer, all the rest gone and the browser extensions not working. Now windows defender is starting to remove purchased installed software as does other protection software like avast....so yeh working through it no idea why your update did this.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

8 months ago

Hi @scottrman ,

There could be various factors preventing the update process for your Trend Micro Application, such as conflicting software (third-party antivirus), outdated Windows, graphics driver issues, corrupted components within Trend Micro and slow computer.

If Avast is currently installed on your device, please consider uninstalling it, as it could potentially interfere with Trend Micro Antivirus and lead to several issues.

After that you can try to install again the Trend Micro Software.

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Yeh so I ended up going on the line and downloaded the latest version again, it installed and did keep my settings. So didn't end up a huge drama but windows defender screwed up some programs I got which are free and not pirated. Use to use Avast and it even blocked its own programs. I got a Dell and even TM sees alot of dell installers and tries to delete them - I always make them exceptions though but it seems not enough is done by the software/hardware vendors to co-ordinate and make stuff like Dell installers exempt from anti virus apps somehow. So not sure what you - TM - needs to do, but you got a typo, or commented out parts, or simply just missed the part that re-installs the latest update. All we do is say yes to update it and follow the prompts, we don't do anything else.  I do like your software though. Thanks.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @scottrman ,

Good to know that your Trend Micro Antivirus has been installed successfully on your PC again. It is also good that you made sure that you have the latest version of the Trend Micro Antivirus as that will make sure that you got the latest security patches. Kindly let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

(edited)

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

8 months ago

It did the same to me. I didn't notice I had no Trend protection, possibly for a week. I simply didn't realize it had uninstalled my existing version and had not installed the new updated one. I only noticed Trend missing tonight when I went to check my online banking and it didn't open in a Payguard window. I've had to find my old installer, and install from scratch, then update it.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

92 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

8 months ago

Hi @llarge 

As mentioned previously in this thread, there are various factors that could've prevented the complete update process for your Trend Micro application. But it is a good thing that you managed to reinstall your application.

Since you mentioned that you had to use your old installer and then do the update, ensure that your Trend Micro application's version is on 17.8.1139 as it is the latest.

If it's not on 17.8 though, I suggest you reinstall once more using the installer that you can get from your Trend Micro MyAccount > Downloads tab to ensure that you have the latest protection.

Superstar

• 

311 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

" there are various factors"

absolutely....

one of them is a faulty TM update package....

I am surprised TM doesn't offer to investigate this rather serious issue and putting the blame on  "various factors"

Or I am not!

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

@tm_ace​  I've checked my version as per your advice, and yes, it is (copy&paste) Version: 17.8.1139 - USOE267003.6217. Thank you for the follow up.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Hi @claudiubotezatu,

We want to assure you that we take this matter seriously.

We are actively investigating the reported issues to identify and address any issues in the update.

If you have specific details or examples of the problems on this update, please share them with us. This information will greatly assist our investigation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

Hi @llarge,

We're delighted to hear that you've successfully updated your security to the latest version.

If you have any further questions or encounter any additional concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights