Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 6:50 AM

Closed

Unable to install latest version of TM Max Security (2018)

I have a Win 8.1 laptop that was running TM Max Security but is not able to be upgraded to 2018. The install hangs at the first step of Checking the Computer. Installing both the TM permissions and remove remnants utilities have been performed. Windows Defender is turned off as well as UAC.TM was completely uninstalled now.

However laptop continues to hang when checking the computer when install Max Security 2018.

Upon reinstalling an old version of TM from disk, the installation works perfectly but am unable to activate the new license as it complains this is a too old version of Max Security.

So now I have an unprotected computer!

Next steps???

Mark

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Update:

I suspect there is a problem with the Max Security 2018 installer!

I was able to install TM Max Security 2017 (TTI_11.0_HE_Full) by installing from a USB stick without an internet connection. Trying to run this installer with an internet connection automatically prompted for the TM Max Security 2018 to be downloaded and this installer could not get past the first step of checking the initial computer requirements.

Installing the 2017 TM version was successful by having the internet connection removed and was able to activate using my new license.

Now waiting for a solution to the issue of not being able to install TM Max Security 2018.

Brand User

Legend

• 

703 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

7 years ago

Hello mrk_aldridge and welcome to the Community!

Thank you for letting us know about this issue that you have encountered with the latest version of Trend Micro Security. Apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Please follow the steps below to help you resolve this issue.

STEP 1: Uninstall Conflicting Software on your computer.
Please see the article for your reference: Programs to remove before installing Trend Micro Security

STEP 2: Check the Windows Installer Service
  • Press the Windows button on your keyboard and letter "R" both at the same time to open the Run console.
  • Once the Run console is open, please type: services.msc
  • Click OK.
  • Doing that will open Services. Please look for Windows Installer. Make sure that the Status is "Running". You may refer to the figure below.

STEP 3: Uninstall Trend Micro Security from the Diagnostic Toolkit
  • Press the Windows button on your keyboard and letter "R" both at the same time to open the Run console.
  • Once the Run console is open, please type: supporttool
  • Click OK.
  • Doing that will open Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. Please go to (C) Uninstall) and then click on "1. Uninstall Software".
  • Please restart your computer when prompted.

STEP 4: Run the Remnant file Remover tool and Permission tool respectively
  • Click here to download the Trend Micro Remnant File Remover tool.
  • Click here to download the Permission Tool.
Note: Please restart your computer every time it will prompt you to do so.

STEP 5: Install Trend Micro Maximum Security 2018
Click here to download the installer of the latest build.

I hope this helps and we'd love to hear from you soon! Should you have any other concern, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Enjoy the rest of the week!

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 years ago

Hello,

Thx for the info.

Re Step 1, I  can confirm no other Anti-virus programs are installed.

Re Step 2, the Windows Installer is showing no status from the Services window. Only Manual for the Startup type. Should this service be started?

Regards

Mark

Brand User

67 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

7 years ago

Hi mrk_aldridge,

Please make sure that the Windows Installer service is running.

Also, kindly follow the steps below to enable hidden administrator account before installing the program:

1. Right-click the Windows icon, then click Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type "net user administrator /active:yes", then press ENTER.

Note: The hidden hidden administrator account can be disabled by typing the command: "net user administrator /active:no", then press ENTER

After running the command, you may now proceed to install the Trend Micro program.

We hope this helps. Thank you and have a great day!

Trend Micro Home Users Community

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights