Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 12:45 AM

Closed

Trend Max Security high CPU usage

Using Trend Micro Maximum Security, and for the past 3 days the coreServiceShell.exe CPU usage has been 30-40%.

Start up something like word or excel, and Trend insta-spikes to 60-70%, then drops back to 40%.

The next highest is Firefox at 1-6%.

I use engineering software every day, and it hovers around 1-10%.

Everything else at idle is 0-1%.

I've read all the BS on here about uninstalling, cleaning, etc. If I uninstall, it will be permanent. I'm not spending a day cleaning up Trend's mess only for it to happen again.

About conflicting software. Well, newsflash, no other software is running as high as Trend, so how can it be considered "conflicting".

Even memory usage, Firefox is in it's usually gobble-mode, then Trend at 400-500Mb.

Next is Skype at ~200Mb

I don't use OneDrive.

This isn't the first time this has happened, and in the past I've lived with it as usually after 24hrs some random Trend update sorts itself out.

I've got version 16.0.1409

I don't use Trend's password manager, or any other 'optional' plugins.

But now it's actually starting to annoy to the point where I've been disabling Trend.

I've used Trend for years, as always found it to be the least intrusive. But the past couple of versions have become more bloated and more in-your-face. Like all bad programmers, as hardware becomes faster, programmers become lazy and ignore efficiencies. Norton, Avast, Macafee, are all on my sh!tlist and Trend is fast making its way there.

/RantOver

Brand User

Superstar

• 

650 Messages

• 

8.5K Points

4 years ago

Hi joel_a12

Thank you for reaching out to us. Would it be okay for you to upgrade the Trend Micro version on your device?

You may click this link to know  how to upgrade Trend Micro Security for Windows to the latest version

If the same issue persists, kindly provide us a screenshot of the task manager with the Trend Micro process on it.

Hope this helps

-TM_Ann

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

4 years ago

I'm baffled as to why "Check for program updates" would just keep updating an older version, and not tell me there is a new version available!

I'll give it a go.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi joel_a12,

Please let us know how it goes. We'll be glad to assist further if you encounter any issue.

- TM_Kath

- TM_Kath

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

90 Points

It's been a few days, and so far Trend is behaving. Thanks.

Still baffled as to why you just doesn't push out an new version notification, rather than running pig slow and making me search the internet for a solution!!!

Brand User

Superstar

• 

579 Messages

• 

9.4K Points

Thank you for your response, joel_a12.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. "Check for program updates" means getting the latest security updates from our servers and installing it to your Trend Micro Security software. This is automatically done by the software while upgrading to the latest version is initiated manually and involves removing the current software before installing the latest version.

For more information, you may refer to this link below:

FAQ: Renew vs Update vs Upgrade (Trend Micro Security for Windows)

We'll take note of your feedback and do our best to improve our product for users.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have further questions.

-TM_Cathy

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

4 years ago

For the last couple of weeks my CPU usage has been hovering between 40-90%, no new programmes were installed, scans were all clear. Like Joel, Trend has a habit of advising a complete uninstall and reinstall, no way am I going through that again after last time it was suggested.

Lo and behold, I chanced upon the Chrome extensions update (Adblock Plus and Trend Toolbar only) and a manual click on the update button brings CPU back to zero immediately.

So come on Trend, let's see if you can do some update to your product to get around this problem.

Thanks

(edited)

Brand User

Hustler

• 

116 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

Hi rossflynn56,

We are sorry for your experience. Would it be okay for you to upgrade the Trend Micro version on your device to fix the issue?

You can click here on how to upgrade Trend Micro Security

Thanks, we'll be waiting for your update!

-TM_Aly

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

Please, what is the difference between upgrade and update, before I do this? Thanks

Brand User

Hustler

• 

116 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

Thank you for your response rossflynn56. Updating means getting the latest security updates from our servers while Upgrading your Trend Micro security is replacing the current software in your computer with the latest version

You can read more about the difference between Update and Upgrade by clicking here.

Hope this helps.

-TM_Aly

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights