866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

Tuesday, May 16th, 2023 10:08 PM

Closed

This feature has been turned off because it slows down your phone

This feature has been turned off because it slows down your phone

Trend Micro Community!

Learn to boost your device's performance by identifying and disabling resource-intensive features. Smartphones are now essential for various tasks, but certain features like background app refresh, live wallpapers, widgets, and animations can slow them down. Recognize that every app consumes resources differently, and manufacturers often provide options to limit such features to maintain efficiency. When your phone reaches its limits, you might receive messages like "This feature has been turned off because it slows down your phone."

Why are we getting this?

•  Protect user data
    To enhance security and protect your privacy, app permissions may be revoked from unused apps after a period of inactivity, reducing the risk of unauthorized data access.

• Power-saving features
    Apps may be automatically put to sleep or have their permissions disabled when not in use for a long time to save battery and optimize device performance.

• User disables the permission
    Users may manually turn off an app's permission if they no longer want the app to access a particular feature or if they have concerns about their privacy and security.

• App updates
    App updates can sometimes disable app permissions due to changes in the app's features, security updates, or other reasons.

• Device updates
    Updates to the device's operating system can modify the security settings and permissions, which may result in certain features being disabled.

• Security concerns
    If the app or feature has been found to pose a security risk, such as being outdated or flagged by a security scan, the device manufacturer may disable it to protect the user's device and data.

Malfunction or bug: Sometimes, the app or device might experience a malfunction or bug that results in permissions being disabled.

What should I do next?

• Check the app's settings
    Check the app's settings for disabled permissions or power-saving settings that may be affecting the app's functionality. Enable the permission manually if it has been disabled.

• Adjust power-saving settings
    To prevent the feature from turning off due to power-saving settings, adjust the app's settings to disable any power-saving modes or allow the app to continue running in the background.

• Update the app or device
    Updates to apps or devices can disable permissions, so make sure to keep your apps and device up to date to avoid any issues that may cause features to be turned off.

•  Address security concerns
    If the feature is turned off due to security concerns, review the app's permissions and limit access to only necessary features. Install a security app to scan for threats.

• Contact customer support
    If the issue persists, users can contact the app or device manufacturer's customer support for assistance in restoring the disabled feature or permission.

Have you encountered this problem before?

Join the discussion!

Sign in or create an account.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

350 Points

1 year ago

How will I know what app disabled my permission? Is there something in my phone Settings that I can check? I'm using a Samsung phone.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

76 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Hi @noodle_soup​,

For Samsung phones, you can only check it manually from the settings. For detailed info please check the instructions below: 

Change app permissions
  • On your device, open the Settings app.
  • Tap Apps.
  • Tap the app you want to change. If you can't find it, tap See all apps. ...
  • Tap Permissions. If you allowed or denied any permissions for the app, you'll find them here.
  • To change a permission setting, tap it, then choose Allow or Don't allow.

Hope this helps. 

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

7 Messages

• 

260 Points

1 year ago

I updated my Android phone, and it fixed the issue. Just sharing!

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

Works for me too!

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

1 year ago

Hey guys! Many users are still experiencing this problem. What I did was update my Android phone – I've got a Xiaomi Mi10T Pro – and that actually fixed the problem. Have you given that a shot?

Hotshot

• 

20 Messages

• 

690 Points

11 months ago

I'll summarize briefly - having a 📲 that gets updates and NOT updating it is total bullshit 🤷🏻‍♂️. 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights