Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Friday, June 14th, 2024 2:02 PM

Popup McAfee virus warning

I don't know when or how it happened, but all of a sudden I am getting this popup purporting to come from McAfee with an error message saying that "your computer is damaged by suspicious programs. To remove virus, click here." Of course, I haven't clicked anywhere - this is obviously bogus. But how do I stop or uninstall this? I've run a full scan with Trendmicro, and that didn't reveal ahting.

Legend

• 

358 Messages

• 

11.2K Points

19 days ago

Yes.  I recently purchased a new PC which came with McAfee.  I downloaded Trend Micro immediately but cannot seem to get rid of McAfee.  When I try to delete it, it tells me I am not authorized to remove it.  How do I dump it from my device?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

Hi @woodartisan55,

You may try the steps below:

Uninstall McAfee via Control Panel:

1. Open the Control Panel on your PC (you can search for it in the Start menu).
  2. Navigate to "Programs" or "Programs and Features."
  3. Locate McAfee software from the list of installed programs.
  4. Right-click on McAfee and select "Uninstall" or "Change."
  5. Follow the prompts to uninstall McAfee. You may be required to enter your administrator password or provide confirmation.

If you are still unable to remove it, you may contact McAfee Technical Support for assistance. They may provide additional guidance or tools to help with the removal process.

Thank you!

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

112 Messages

• 

2.3K Points

19 days ago

Hi @strydom1,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

Based on your description, it might be a Browser Notification Scam. You may check our Help Center Guide below on how to remove this type of notifications or pop ups.

How to remove suspicious browser notifications on Windows | Trend Micro Help Center

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

70 Points

12 days ago

Me too

need to get rid of this!Says I have   5 viruses in pc and need to renew my subsccription

Help!!

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

@arthurneely​ Ignore it! All I did was restore my browser to default values, and that pop-up was gone. Whatever you do, don't click on that pop-up.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

136 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @strydom1, @arthurneely 

Another alternative is to clear your browsing history or browsing data. Once you've done that, make sure to install the Trend Micro Toolbar for additional protection.

How to Install Trend Micro Toolbar on Windows Browsers: A Step-by-Step Guide | Trend Micro Help Center 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights