Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

210 Points

Monday, January 1st, 2024 6:22 PM

Closed

Pay Guard - Options in Privacy grayed out

I currently use Brave as my browser and a lot of shopping websites pop up an annoying modal saying Internet Explorer is no longer supported (even though Brave is not IE and based on Chromium).  I don't really care since I've never used Pay Guard.  However, I cannot disable it.  When I go into Privacy, the options are all greyed out so I cannot change it.  How can I get around this obvious bug?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

7 months ago

@billbateyiii,

The Pay Guard is connected to the Trend Micro toolbar. To be able to use the feature, the Trend Micro toolbar needs to be enabled. 

If the toolbar is not enabled, the feature itself would not function properly.

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

210 Points

7 months ago

This does NOT help.  The trend micro toolbar IS active in Brave, which is Chromium (I.e. built off of Google Chrome).  The toolbar has to be present otherwise I wouldn't be getting the pop-up in my browser as I mentioned.

Why are my options greyed out?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Hi @billbateyiii​, 

At the moment, Trend Micro Security Apps work well with Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge, and Safari.

However, Brave, despite being a Chromium browser, isn't supported right now. That's why the Trend Micro toolbar might not be working properly for you on Brave.

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

210 Points

@tm_carlo​ The option I'm showing in the picture is NOT from the browser.  It's literally in the Windows app.  Why are you so fixated on the extension?  Did your developers weirdly tie those together instead of just having the Windows app set that somewhere the extension can read? If I could set that option and still got the Pay Guard modal, then it would make sense you're referencing it.  I've never developed an extension, so there could be things I don't understand, but the extension must get settings from somewhere, which I assume is a config file since I don't see a database running (but I haven't actually looked).  Is your Windows app looking for the browser extension, not supporting Brave, and therefore doesn't give me the option because it thinks it's not fully installed (please tell me you didn't do that, as that would be silly)?

Again, why is the option in the WINDOWS APP (not the browser) greyed out!?  Can I manually modify a user setting file, Windows registry, or wherever!?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Hi @billbateyiii,

This might be happening because it doesn't detect the Trend Micro Toolbar on a supported browser. To troubleshoot, could you try changing your default browser to one of the supported ones and see if the issue still persists?

Thank you in advance!

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

210 Points

@tm_carlo​ I had to install the extension in Microsoft Edge and could then change the setting.  I returned to the Brave browser and verified it no longer pops up on various websites where it popped up every time.  Given that each browser installs extensions in different directories, this means that this is a universal setting outside of the extension that the extension reads/loads.

This is an odd choice by DEVs/Product Owner/UX.  This option should always be available to be set.  It's fine to default to "on" but needs to be always be changeable; there's no need to try and determine if the extension is installed if it's universal.  It doesn't really get you much and is going to cause more headaches like this, especially as Chromium browsers become more common.  For instance, I only use TM's extension to see link ratings and block bad sites (which it does quite well in Brave).  I mean, I could be wrong in that but then I don't see how Brave would have been affected.

I have no idea if this can be passed onto development, but it really should be considered.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

122 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

Hi @billbateyiii​, 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We have investigated this matter with the product team and will keep you informed about any updates related to this issue.

We value your ongoing support.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights