• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

Wednesday, January 26th, 2022 10:15 PM

Closed

Answered

Norton Refund Scam

I got an email from "Norton" saying I was charged, since I don't have Norton I called them and in process I downloaded a file from them (my bad!).  

My question is Trend scanned and said the download file was fine.  Which it was not.  Why didn't Trend highlight this downloaded file as high risk?

Accepted Solution

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

2 years ago

Thank you for your response, daronkruse

Please try to remove the program they install to access your computer. Here's how: 

1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Apps.
  4. Select Apps and Features from the left-hand side menu.
  5. Click the "installed on" to see the recent program added
  6. Select the Program or App you want to uninstall from the list that appears. Here's the possible remote access programs they use.
    • TeamViewer
    • AnyDesk.
    • Splashtop Business Access.
    • Zoho Assist.
    • ConnectWise Control.
    • VNC Connect.
    • BeyondTrust Remote Support.
    • RemotePC.

7. Click the uninstall button that shows under the selected program or app.

Also, make sure that your Trend Micro program is up-to-date. We recently release the latest version of Trend Micro which is Version 17.7, you may install the latest version for free using this link.

- TM_Rochelle

This comment was created from this reply
Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

2 years ago

Hi daronkruse,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community.

Apologies for the inconveniences this has caused you. What you have received is indeed a scam email, specifically a phishing email. They are designed to look like they’re from a company you know or trust. There are multiple ways to know if the email is legitimate one of the few are by judging the email address, use of generic language and lack of specific details about the recipient are good indicators that it’s a hoax. 

The remote tool they used to connect to the customer is legitimate program that's why Trend Micro didn't detected it as Malicious. It is better also to not allow them to remotely access you computer to avoid the scammers having access to your personal information and coerce you into paying for their fraudulent services.

To know more about scam emails, please click this link.

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

@tm_rochelle​  I'm running the full trend scan now.  Is there anything else I can do to ensure they didn't leave anything behind?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

Thank you for your response, daronkruse

Please try to remove the program they install to access your computer. Here's how: 

1. Open the Start Menu.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Click Apps.
  4. Select Apps and Features from the left-hand side menu.
  5. Click the "installed on" to see the recent program added
  6. Select the Program or App you want to uninstall from the list that appears. Here's the possible remote access programs they use.
    • TeamViewer
    • AnyDesk.
    • Splashtop Business Access.
    • Zoho Assist.
    • ConnectWise Control.
    • VNC Connect.
    • BeyondTrust Remote Support.
    • RemotePC.

7. Click the uninstall button that shows under the selected program or app.

Also, make sure that your Trend Micro program is up-to-date. We recently release the latest version of Trend Micro which is Version 17.7, you may install the latest version for free using this link.

- TM_Rochelle

This reply has been converted into a comment

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights