Latest Release: Trend Micro Security 17.8.1121 for Windows is Here! Stay ahead of cyber threats!
Trend Security Expert
Modern Parenting - Top questions answered
These days families come in different forms and set-ups but that doesn't change the fact that all parents want the best for their kids. Modern family set-up requires modern ways of parenting.
The key to becoming modern parents is understanding your children and their environment. Their environment plays a huge part in raising a confident, kind, and smart kid. Mobile phones and ipads instead of toys, digital communication, and all-day internet access are some of the factors to consider.
Where can I learn the different online slang/abbreviations teens use nowadays?
Communication is the key. By understanding the slang language that your children use in how they converse online and with their friends you can keep them safe from online bullies and predators. Below are some of the most important ones to be aware of.
- Bae — Someone’s significant other/romantic partner
- BF/GF — Boyfriend/girlfriend
- DTF — Down to f*ck
- KMS — Kill myself (KYS is kill yourself)
- Netflix and chill — Hooking up with the help of Netflix
- TDTM — Talk dirty to me
- WTF — What the f*ck
What are some apps/websites parents should know about?
Everyone is online today from Social Networking Sites, Events, and Concerts to different online games. You should know where your kids are. Here is a list of popular apps/websites that parents need to be aware of:
- Snapchat — A multimedia instant messaging app. Photos are videos sent on Snapchat are usually only available for a short amount of time.
- TikTok — A social media platform used by young people to create, share, and watch short videos.
- Instagram — A social media platform very popular with teens/young people.
- Tinder — A dating app.
- Kik Messenger — A messaging app that is particularly popular with teens.
- Tumblr — A microblogging and social media website popular with teens.
- 4chan — An anonymous imageboard website mostly used by teens and young people.
Read the full list of questions here and learn more about how to protect your kids online.
Trend Micro’s Family Tech Talk Nights
Raising children in the digital age is no easy task, so why not join us for one of our Family Tech Talk virtual sessions — as seen on NBC10Boston — and get the low-down on everything modern-day parents need to know? We offer events throughout the school year, so we encourage you and your school community to come along!
To learn more about Family Tech Talk Nights and to sign up for an event, click here.