• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Tuesday, February 1st, 2022 5:56 AM

Closed

Answered

Information needed to optimize computer

For about two months now I have been getting the message (following a scheduled scan): " Unable to contact Trend Micro for information needed to optimize the computer.  Please try again later".  I try later and get the same message??  Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this situation??  My machine is a 64 bit i5 Intel processor, Windows 10 fully updated and up to date Trend Micro subscription.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

2 years ago

Hi, @slackey!

May I know the version of your Trend Micro program? You may be getting this message because the program cannot connect to the Trend Micro server to get the latest updates. Here's how to Fix "Unable to contact Trend Micro" error on Windows

You may also do the following to restart the Trend Micro components if the same issue persists:

1. Open Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit

2. Click (C) Uninstall tab

3. Click Stop All Components

4. Click the two Delete Now buttons then you may click the Start All Components button after. 

Let us know how it goes.

~TM_Cha

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

200 Points

2 years ago

I have the same issue.  In my case I have TM set to do full scans 1 time per week.  The scans run fine, but it fails at the PC Health Check with the same error.  I can also trigger it by manually starting the PC Health Check.

I tried the steps suggested by @tm_cha (thanks!) but it did not solve the issue.

In my case it is Win 10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor , and a current TM subscription.

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

@steve_7a5a1f​   I am running fully up to date Windows 10, and an Intel i5 CORE processor.  My PC Health Check kicks out at ~ 55% (Checking Privacy Concerns).  I did a "privacy" scan (from the Main Console).  It said that I had some Privacy issues with my Facebook page, so I went into Facebook and tightened up all my privacy settings, then re-ran the Privacy scan on TM Main Console, and it came back saying that I had fixed those issues on Facebook, and there were no further "Privacy Concerns".  I re-ran the PC Health Check from the Main Console, and nothing was resolved...it kicked out again at 55% saying it was "Unable to contact Trend Micro for information needed to optimize the computer.  Please try again later".  I have gone through three different sessions with Trend Micro Engineers (the last one yesterday for two hours on the phone and with the engineer manipulating my computer remotely), and did everything he could think of....Uninstalled my TM Internet Security program, ran the Remnant program to clean all possible Trend Micro files off my computer.  Checking my computer files and manually removing any TM files left, then re-installing my paid TM subscription Internet Security.  Still, no luck.  TM has been very helpful...or at least has made a great effort....but still I have this issue!!  Anyone else have any ideas??

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi slackey and steve_7a5a1f,

Can you try to reset your winsock and check if the issue is still there?

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows Windows Key + R keys to open the Run window.
2. In the Open field, type cmd, then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER. The Administrator: Command Prompt window will open.
3. Type netsh winsock reset, and then hit ENTER.
4. Wait for the Command Prompt to run through the reset. Once it’s complete, you’ll see the message Winsock reset completed successfully.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Check your program for updates.

Let me know how it goes. 

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

200 Points

@tm_angelo  I followed the steps you listed.  After I ran the TM update, it took less than a second and claimed it installed an update.  I then re-ran the PC Health Check and had the same error. 

For clarity only, I did complete all 6 steps before running the PC Health Check.

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

I also ran all six steps you recommended to "reset the net winsock".  I did the TM update and all was "up to date".  When I ran the PC Health Checkup I got the same message again (Unable to contact TM for the information needed to optimize the computer) at the same place of the scan as always....55% "Checking Privacy Concerns".  Problem remains unsolved.  I had also answered an email from TM (Seph) last night with a time, phone number and date for a call regarding trying more troubleshooting solutions, but I did not receive a call at the time I suggested???  Did I misunderstand this message??

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi @slackey,

I see that you have an active case with our technical support team regarding this issue and that they were able to reach out to you. Please allow 3-5 business days for us to further investigate the issue.

@steve_7a5a1f, thanks for your response. We'll also update you on what will be transpired in the investigation.

- TM_Kath

- TM_Kath

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

200 Points

2 years ago

I last posted 2 months ago asking when the fix will roll out to all users, and I have been dealing with this issue for ~6 months.  @tm_rochelle  responded with a link to steps to install a hotfix.  I followed those steps, and responded back to @tm_rochelle with a detail response showing the updated files and that it did not resolve the issue.  I have received no additional follow-up.  I feel like the problem is being ignored.  @tm_cathy did come out and ignore my problem but became the 2nd support member to congratulate the original poster for their issue being resolved.

When with this be fixed for ALL users?  Please advise.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

Apologies for the inconveniences this has caused you, steve

You may follow the steps provided on the link below. 

Fix "Unable to Connect to Trend Micro" error on Windows

If the suggested solution on the link didn't work, you can try to follow the instructions below to resolve the concern.

Please check if you have conflicting software with Trend Micro. You may check this link on how to remove incompatible softwares with Trend Micro.

Please remove or uninstall the Trend Micro program using the Trend Micro Remnant Remover Tool. After removing the program, please download and install the latest version using the link below:

How to install Maximum Security

Let us know how it goes. 

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

7 Messages

• 

200 Points

@tm_rochelle The first two did not work, so I tried removing TM with the tool you provided and reinstalled it.  That fixed the issue.  Thanks!

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Thank you for your update, steve_7a5a1f. It's good to know that everything's all good now. In case you need more help, please let us know.

- TM_Kim

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights