Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Wednesday, May 15th, 2024 8:50 PM

I don't have permissions to USB drives

I have recently encountered this issue where i can't use USB Drives. It tells me that i don't have permissions to access the drives. then it tells me to access the security tab, but when i go to properties there is no "security" tab. Does any one know a way to get around this.

I have checked all group policies, on both the PC, and domain controller. but there's nothing out of the norm. I have looked all settings that would pertain to this issue, and have spent several hours searching the web and everything that i have found says to to go to the security tab... but its not there. I have included a couple screen shots to better assist.

There were a couple people i was chatting with and the pointed me to my antivirus software, so that's why i'm here.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

92 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

2 months ago

Hi @serviceorder ,

Welcome to Trend Micro Online Community.

The error message could also be caused by file system errors or ownerships. Let's try to isolate the issue further.

Try disabling the antivirus temporarily and see if the issue persists.

To do that, search for "Trend Micro Diagnostic Tool Kit" app > Uninstall tab > Stop all components. You will know that the trend micro is no longer active once the system tray no longer displays the little Trend Micro icon.

Once confirmed, plug back in your USB drive and see if restriction persists.

Let us know how it goes.

To reactive the antivirus, simply launch the app once more or go back to the diagnostic tool kit > uninstall tab > start all components

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Hello tm_ace, I searched for the diagnostic tool and was only able to pull up web searches. I don't think we have that app installed on our PC's. When i log into our web account and look at our licenses it shows that we don't have any. I know that isn't true because we just renewed our licenses.

Do you have a link that i can use to download the diagnostic tool?

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

I was just doing some more trouble shooting and found that My personal PC which also has trendmicro AV allows me to access the USB thumb drives. So i'm thinking its with our security policies on our domain that have changed and are not allowing removable storage devices. I'll do some more checking and server maintenance to correct this issue. Thank you for your time.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @serviceorder ,

If you still wish to determine whether the Trend Micro Antivirus is the one causing the issue, you can refer to this link for the guide on how to disable it: https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/article/tmka-10319

Make sure to enable the Trend Micro Antivirus again after so that you will be protected. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights