Trend Security Expert
How to spot crypto scams?
Did you know how crypto scams work?
Scammers are like foxes in the wild they are devious, opportunist, and sly. They all have common tactics, they act like they genuinely care about their target victims. On the other hand, Crypto Scammers have additional special offers, they will promise a fast return on investment, free money, and over-the-top profits. Here are the Crypto Scams spotted by our Trend Micro Check Team in the past weeks.
Victoria VR is a multiplayer online role-playing game that tricks its users to roam around their unsecured digital world where the crypto scammers hide and are ready to steal your information. Read more.
- SMS Content:
Fake Nickelodeon NFTs
Nickolodeon started NFT artworks of our favorite character. Sadly, crypto scammers are also selling their fake versions. Read more.
This crypto scam attack promises a free airdrop of $2000 uniswap tokens. The tokens can be exchanged for cryptocurrencies, however, the website is fishy and it will lead you to infected wallets. Read more.
Scammers model as Trust Wallet. They send fake breach alerts via SMS. Read more.
Sample SMS Content:
“your multi-coin wallet has been breached. visit: [URL] warning: do not share your secret phase with anyone.”.
Sample phishing page
In Terra cryptocurrency, victims receive a fake airdrop offer via SMS. Read more.
Sample SMS Content:
“limited airdrop – our records indicate that you are eligible to claim terra 2.0 tokens at: v2-terra[.]com claimant#3805 t&c apply. reply stop to opt out.”
More on how to avoid crypto scams. Click here.
Protect Yourself with Trend Micro Check
- Double-check people’s contact details — and URLs.
- Reach out to official websites and support pages directly for help if in doubt.
- NEVER use links or buttons from unknown sources! Use Trend Micro Check to detect scams with ease: Trend Micro Check is an all-in-one browser extension and mobile app for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links — and it’s FREE!
These topics might interest you...
- What is XProtect on Mac? Is it Enough to Keep your Mac Safe?
- How to Run Android Apps in Windows 11
- Top Scams and Phishing Schemes of the Week: Airbnb, Shell, Walmart, Ray-Ban, and MORE