Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

120 Points

Monday, May 2nd, 2016 11:49 PM

Closed

How to recovered a file that deleted by secure erase?

Hi I have just accidentally deleted a file using secure erase - is there anyway that I can retrieve this file again?  Please help!!! A full years worth of work deleted by accident - and gone within seconds!!

Official Solution

Legend

• 

847 Messages

• 

10.9K Points

8 years ago

After a few internal cross-checks, we're very sorry to inform you that once a file has been deleted using Secure Erase, it can no longer be recovered. The Secure Erase feature is designed to permanently delete the file from your hard drive so that no recovery tools could retrieve it.

This probably doesn't help at all now, but here's a how-to doc for how to use Secure Erase for future reference:
Using the Secure Erase feature of Trend Micro Security

Again, we're sorry to hear about your situation.
Brand User

Hustler

• 

55 Messages

• 

1.4K Points

8 years ago

This is definitely not good! We will have someone look into this now, and will get back to you soon.

14 Messages

• 

310 Points

8 years ago

Hi Susan,
I'm sorry to read about your file erased issue. It should be virtually impossible for you to recover that file (I believe it might be possible using technology available to the CIA, FBI, etc. but suspect they wouldn't be prepared to help you out in that regard). 
What sort of file was it? 
It is possible that it might be available as a temporary file stored using the program you were using to work on it. 
It is also possible that if you deleted a previous version "normally" without using secure erase that you might be able to recover that file from your hard drive using appropriate software (there is freeware software I have used that will do it).  The longer since the original deletion the more likely that another file might overwrite that deleted file or parts of it.
I gather you didn't create any backups but did you email anyone a version, work on it on another computer or save it to some other media or storage device that you might have forgotten about? 
Good luck.

14 Messages

• 

310 Points

To see the tempory files (.tmp) open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and select "Show hidden files and folders", untick "Hide protected operating system files" and untick "HIde extensions for know files types" (the last two steps may not be necessary but ...). 
Note that those steps and options might vary depending on which operating system you are using.
Depending on your skills and risk of doing damage (such as unintentionally deleting files!), it might pay to restore those settings after you have finished looking for the temp files so you don't delete any critical files.
In regards to looking for the files on other computers or storage devices, don't forget that you might be able to recover temp files or ordinarily deleted files from those computers and storage devices using file recovery freeware.

Neophyte

• 

15 Messages

• 

484 Points

8 years ago

This situation - having inadvertently permanently and securely deleted a very important document - is unfortunately the hard way to learn a very important lesson for those who use their PCs creatively; for documents, art-work, photography, anything of that sort.

After you've created something that you might regret losing, reflect for a moment; how long would it take you to re-create it? Could you remember how you created it?

If either of these questions make you think hard, that is the time to start making backups.

Windows 10 (and 8.1) provides free of charge a clunky way of doing this - it's called File History, and it works, but can create a significant overhead for your PC to carry, and as for all backup arrangements, requires a significant quantity of spare disk space, which thankfully is quite cheap nowadays.

There are other products available on the market that will do this job for you in a more configurable  way, but they cost money, and as with File History, require that you have spare disk space available.

It is essential that the spare disk space that you will need should be on a disk drive that does not share space on your physical 'system' disk, i.e. the one where Windows is loaded. A free-standing USB-connected disk of 1 terabyte (Tb) should do the job, and costs only a few tens of GBPs.  That way, if your system disk dies - which happens rarely, but can do so at any time without warning - you should still have data backups to recover from.

You will hope you never need to call upon it, but a backup can make the difference between a professional disaster, and just an inconvenient pause in your work.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights