Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

Thursday, May 27th, 2021 2:27 AM

Closed

Answered

How do I set Trend Micro to update when PC shuts down normally?

I turn my PC off overnight, so I'm perplexed that the first thing Trend Micro says upon boot is that my PC needs to be restarted to install updates.

Am I missing a setting that enables it to update when the computer is restarted?

Accepted Solution

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

3 years ago

The feature to update Trend Micro when the PC shuts down, or restarts outside of the program doesn't exist at time of writing; thanks to TM_Cathy for clarifying that.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

Hi, arblinks

Thank you for your suggestion. We shall pass this on and see how this can be possible in the future.

We always aim to provide quality service to our customers, rest assured we'll take your experience into account to improve our support.

In case you need more help, please feel free to reach out to us again.

- TM_Rochelle

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

3 years ago

Hi, arblinks.

Your Trend Micro program constantly checks online for security updates to stop new threats every 3 hours. These are automatically applied to the program modules to improve its performance. You can read more about this from the link below:

How to update Trend Micro Security on Windows

In case you need more help, please let us know.

- TM_Kim

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

Fair enough, but my question is that I am sometimes prompted to restart my computer immediately after booting up and logging in.

I've presumed that meant that whatever needed the computer restarted didn't occur when the PC was shut down outside of the prompt, but could it instead be there just happened to be several days back-to-back which each downloaded an update that required a restart?

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

Could you provide a screenshot of the restart required notification, This would help us check what might have gone wrong.

Also, can you open your Trend Micro main console and check if it has the PROTECTED message in the middle.

Awaiting your response. 

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

Hi Angelo,
Here's a fresh-baked example right after today's boot.

The main console still says a restart is required; even though I've literally just completed one via the Start menu.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

Thank you for your response, arblinks 

You receive that error message when your Trend Micro Security software checks for updates. Please try to follow the steps provided on the link below to resolve the issue: 

Restart Required: Finish installing update (Trend Micro Security for Windows)

Let us know how it goes.

- TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

250 Points

Hi Rochelle,

My understanding is now Trend Micro won't finish updating if I restart via the Start Menu, it must be triggered though the main console.

Is this right? If so, is there a setting to prompt me to use the console instead when I shut down at the end of a day?

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights