Hotshot

• 

42 Messages

• 

698 Points

Sunday, September 23rd, 2018 9:58 AM

Closed

Full Scan Has Become Quick Scan

Trend Micro Antivirus+ runs a very brief scan (about 1 minute) when Full Scan is initiated instead of taking a couple of hours as it usually does. 

Reboot doesn't help.

Had reinstalled Trend Sunday, September 9, 2018. Was working "normally" since then.

I read a couple of cases indicating this short Full Scan is design intent and unchanged files do not need to be rescanned.

But why did the behavior of the program change after months and months of working differently (taking a couple of hours every day)?

And what if I want all files to be scanned anyway?

Did something recently change in MS file management?

Why does Custom Scan work more like Full Scan was working? Something is odd here.

PC device model: Dell Inspiron Desktop - I660-3042BK.
Product: Trend Micro Antivirus+ 12.0.
Version:
12.0.1226 (Component versions)
Type:
Full version
Brand User

Legend

• 

703 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

6 years ago

Hello ircil56,

The Full Scan of your Trend Micro Security software has this feature called Journal Scan. The Journal Scan will skip all unmodified files that were already scanned within the last 24 hours. This may now explain the behaviour of the Trend Micro program on your computer.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Pat
Brand User

Legend

• 

703 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

6 years ago

Hello ircil56,

There are conditions that has to be taken in consideration as to how the Journal Scan works. Journal Scan will be used on the second and consecutive full scan within 24 hours. 

On the second full scan, Trend Micro Security will only scan the files changed in the Journal record. Journal Scan has a timeout period of 24 hours, this is to make sure the full scan would use the latest pattern to do the scan on every files

Regards,
Pat

Hotshot

• 

42 Messages

• 

698 Points

This is the behavior I think I'm seeing:

Quick Scan         ~   1,000 files.
Full Scan C:,E:,F: ~ 590,000 files depending on 24 hour Journal Scan window.
Custom Scan C:     ~ 500,000 files every time.                                           

Can you confirm that Custom Scan does not include the Journal Scan feature (which is fine with me).
Brand User

Legend

• 

703 Messages

• 

11.4K Points

Hi ircil56,

Journal Scan is for Full Scan only. It is not being utilized for Custom Scan.

Regards,
Pat

Hotshot

• 

42 Messages

• 

698 Points

OK, I think I understand better what to expect of Trend scans now. Thanks. 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights