• 

1 Message

• 

100 Points

Monday, May 22nd, 2023 1:28 PM

Closed

Resolved

Files missing after 5/22/23 update

This morning, 5/22/23, an update came in from TrendMocro and required a restart.  When I restarted, it made me log out of windows and log back in, and now all my documents and settings are gone!  Applications are still there but no user data.  How do I get it all back?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

1 year ago

The same thing happened to me -- lost all my settings, VPN connections, work-related programs, etc. Everything is gone. How do I recover or uninstall the latest update?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

140 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

1 year ago

Hi @shanonehoff @robertamckeejackson,

We are sorry to hear about your situation. Please note that the Trend Micro program does not delete any personal files upon restarting the computer.

You may refer to Microsoft' how to recover lost files (Windows 10)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recover-lost-or-deleted-files-7bf065bf-f1ea-0a78-c1cf-7dcf51cc8bfc

There have been instances where the PC undergoes a reset after a reboot, which typically occurs when you are using a temporary profile or account. This link might give you additional information on how to avoid this to happen in the future.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-restart-my-computer-the-desktop/7f968dbd-57d5-41c1-8b55-a45b2715e135https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recover-lost-or-deleted-files-7bf065bf-f1ea-0a78-c1cf-7dcf51cc8bfc

For added certainty, we recommend creating a new local account on your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d

Hope this helps.

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

@tm_helen​ Thank you for your response. However, it is not files that I lost but settings, VPN connections, etc. This is my personal/consulting work computer -- I am the only user and have no temporary profile or account with Microsoft. Can you please let me know how to uninstall the latest update on TrendMicro so I can recover everything. When the restart occurred and I logged in again, I came up with some very basic Microsoft look and feel, but most of the links/shortcuts on my desktop were gone, etc. If you can provide details on removing the latest upgrade until I can restore everything, that would be appreciated.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

1 year ago

Hello @shanonehoff , @robertamckeejackson ,

Could you confirm whether, upon opening the standard command prompt, you observe the directory path "C:\Users\Temp"?

If yes, this is a profile duplicate issue.

To resolve profile duplication issues in Microsoft, follow these steps:

Disclaimer: If you encounter any uncertainty while following the steps, feel free to let us know so we can schedule remote assistance for you.

1. Open the command prompt and execute the "whoami /user" command to retrieve the Security Identifier (SID) for the current account. Take note of the SID to be able to determine the specific key located in your registry later.
  2. Access the registry editor. As a precautionary measure, it is recommended to create a backup of the registry.
  3. Once the registry backup is complete, navigate to the following registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
  4. Within this registry path, locate the previously noted SID. Additionally, there might be another SID with the same name but with a ".bak" extension.
  5. Delete the SID key that you noted earlier and rename the corresponding ".bak" version by removing the ".bak" extension. 
  6. Verify the ProfileImagePath to ensure that it matches your profile.
  7. Modify the state value from "8080" to 0.
  8. Finally, restart your computer. After reboot, your original profile should return to its original state before the issue occurred.

Note:

• After the reboot, you can optionally run an sfc scan for further troubleshooting if needed.
  • For specific issues, always refer to official Microsoft resources or seek assistance from their support channels or reply to this conversation in case you need assistance.

TM_Sherwin

(edited)

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights