Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

Monday, September 2nd, 2019 1:02 PM

Closed

CSRSS.exe trojan software?

I can see two copies of the csrss.exe software on my computer. I understand this software can be a trojan but I cannot delete it or stop it from running. Why doesn't the TM Maximum Protection package remove this software?
Brand User

Superstar

• 

650 Messages

• 

8.5K Points

5 years ago

Hi webkeeper,

Client Server Runtime Process, (CSRSS) is a Microsoft process that can run multiple times on your device which is normal. To verify this, can you check the location of the processes on your device? The legitimate csrss.exe file should be located in the " C:\Windows\system32 ". 

To check the location, kindly open your Task Manger then on the Process tab look for the Client Server Runtime Process. After that, right-click the csrss process then go to "Open file location". 
Let us know if the location is not on system32.

Awaiting for your response. 
- Ann

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

5 years ago

Yes, the two processes I found are both in the System32 location.  So I guess I'm OK.  But I found a description on the web indication that the CSRSS process is often used to hide a Trojan to record keystrokes.  Is that a hoax or is it true? If true, will TM protect me from that?
Brand User

Superstar

• 

650 Messages

• 

8.5K Points

5 years ago

Yes, there are cases that csrss.exe is used to mask malicious activity but in order to check if it is legit or not, you'll have to check the file location and the properties if it is from Microsoft. Trend Micro program will notify you if there is any suspicious activity. 

- Ann

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights