Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Tuesday, July 20th, 2021 3:10 PM

Closed

Answered

Can I switch Windows Defender back on temporarily if I exit Trend Micro Max Security?

My son’s new laptop (when connected via his school’s network and web filtering protocols), has extremely slow internet speed/connection while TM Maximum Security is running.  When TMMS is switched off (exited), internet speed/connection at school is normal again. His laptop’s internet  speed and connectivity at home (outside the school’s network) with TMMS running has no issues.  Note that all exception settings have been applied within TMMS dashboard to ensure approved urls/sites can be accessed so this is not a variable or factor.  I suspect the school’s web filtering protocols are clashing and/or causing a dual web filtering scenario which is causing the speed and connectivity issues on his laptop while at school.  As a work around, my son would like to exit TMMS during school hours and simply turn on the built-in Windows Defender on his laptop’s Windows 10 (Home) system to offer him antivirus and fraudulent website protection while he uses the school’s internet.  However, once we exit (NOT install) from TMMS, there does not appear to be an option in the Windows Security Settings that allows us to switch Windows Defender back on.  The only option offered in his laptop’s Windows Security Settings is to turn TMMS back on.  Any idea if or how the Windows Security Settings can be forced to display both Windows Defender and TMMS as options that the user can select from and turn each on/off as required?  It is almost as if by installing TMMS, the software has blocked Windows Defender from being displayed as a choice/option in the Windows Security Settings.  Any ideas about how to force Windows Security Settings to display Windows Defender as an antivirus option if TMMS is exited?  Also, when pressing “exit” on the TMMS dashboard, does TMMS truly suspend running or is it running in the background and that’s perhaps why Windows Security Settings won’t offer Windows Defender as an option?  Or has TMMS disabled Windows Defender so deeply in the Windows 10 OS that it cannot easily be activated when TMMS is installed?  I really don’t want to uninstall TMMS as I like the product better than Windows Defender, however, sending my son to school with no AV software turned on just so he can actually access school web resources on their network is not an option I want to continue doing.  At this stage, without a solution from the TM tech support, I will have no choice but to uninstall TMMS from his laptop and go back to the default Windows Defender on my son’s laptop so that his learning is not disrupted any longer.  TM Tech Support, please please please provide a viable solution to this problem ASAP (I have called two TM techs in the past week and neither could answer these questions and neither knew what to do to fix the issue).

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

3 years ago

Hi purplepumpkinpatch,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community!

This is not the usual behavior of the program. To further assist you with this, kindly provide us the following:

1. Screenshot of the network speed test while Trend Micro is running.

1. Screenshot of the network speed test while Trend Micro is not running/turned off.

You may also flush your DNS and restart the Trend Micro components.

Flush DNS:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows  + R keys.
  2. In the Open field, type cmd, then press ENTER. The Command Prompt will open.
  3. Type ipconfig /flushdns on the Command Prompt window, then press ENTER.
  4. Wait for the message saying the DNS has been flushed then close the window.

Restart Trend Micro Components:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows  + R keys.
  2. In the Open field, type supporttool, then press ENTER. The Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit will open.
  3. Go to C(Uninstall) tab.

4. Click number 5, after a minute click number 2.

5. Wait for another minute, and click number 4. 

By the way, once you turned off Trend Micro you will need to manually turn it on once you decide so. Trend Micro can only run when your Windows Defender is turned off as it is not recommended to have two antiviruses running on a computer. This will cause performance issues.

- TM_Kath

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

3 years ago

Thanks for the prompt response, however, could you please just directly  answer my question about whether it is the TMMS  software preventing my laptop’s Windows Security Settings from displaying Windows Defender as another option  when TMMS is suspended/exited by the user?  My preference is to use TMMS however I do not have any control over the network web filtering software used by the school and my son’s laptop automatically connects to that network (he is not permitted to bypass the school network by using a personal hotspot). The aim is to use Windows Defender while connected to the school network, then switch on TMSS when at home. Please advise if and how I can do this.

Thank you.

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

3 years ago

Hi purplepumpkinpatch,

Yes, it is possible to switch on Windows Defender when Trend Micro is turned off.

To switch it on manually you can follow the instructions below.

1. Select the Start menu.
2. In the search bar, type Windows Security. Select the matching result.
3. Select Virus & threat protection.
4. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
5, Flip each switch under Real-time protection and Cloud-delivered protection to turn them on.

Also, as said above This is not the usual behavior of the program. Is it okay if we get more information about this so we can continue to troubleshoot it.

kindly provide us the following:

1. Screenshot of the network speed test while Trend Micro is running.
2. Screenshot of the network speed test while Trend Micro is not running/turned off.

Hope this helps!

-TM_Angelo

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

3 years ago

Hi -TM_Angelo,

After many testings, I found that the best Speedtest is :

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest same speed with all browsers!

Some Speedtest's does not work correct with some browsers.

By the way, did you get my latest answer after testing from my place?

Kind regards,

Tom

(edited)

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Thank you for sharing, . Can you please check the link as it is not working on our end?
Also, may we just verify if you are encountering any issues with Trend Micro so we can assist you?
- TM_Kath

- TM_Kath

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi Katharine,

I did a lot of testing with a TM technician from the UK, and at the end we found out that Speedtest's are all different with their outcome and also different with the browser you are using and also the extensions in the browsers and also if there is web protection on or off.

So I tested a lot of the Speedtest's and with all different browser and browser settings. And only 1 or two were working correct. Then the DSLreport came out as the best. If I use the Speedtest from above, (TM use that standard) my internet speed is 120 Mbts and with https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  without the "," of course, the speed is correct, 300 Mbts! I don't know if that is worldwide. You should test that. The same speed with all my browsers and also with TM up and working.

So, hope you can test it from your site now.

Kind regards,

Tom

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Point taken, ! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We'll have this forwarded to the dedicated team.

- TM_Kath

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights