Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

70 Points

Wednesday, September 30th, 2020 3:53 PM

Closed

Unprotected passwords notification

There have been a couple of other posts about this, but not a satisfactory answer in my opinion.

I get a message about unprotected passwords stored in browsers when I scan. I have checked every browser installed, and there are no saved passwords listed. I already have a password manager than I've been using longer than Trend Micro, so I'm not interested in using yours. It would be really helpful if I could see WHERE these stored passwords are stored so that I can clean them up.

If I install the Trend Micro password manager, will it identify them for me? I don't want to go to the trouble of doing that and then uninstalling it if it isn't going to tell me where they are stored.

P.S. It would be great if they were listed with the alert and I didn't have to go searching.

Thanks.

Brand User

Hustler

• 

116 Messages

• 

1.8K Points

4 years ago

Hi lisecragen ,

Thank you for reaching out to us. These are scan results after running a scan with Trend Micro Security. You can press the Ignore Button for the Unprotected Password for it not to appear on the next scan result.

You may read more about how Password Manager by clicking here.

Thank you!

-TM_Aly

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

2 years ago

I too have experienced the same unprotected password notification as lisecragen has.

I have always been extremely careful to not save passwords to a browser. When I check for the unprotected passwords in all my browsers, none are there. 

I believe the question Trend Micro needs to answer is, are you just saying that we have passwords stored in the browser, so we install your password manager? As a consumer of your anti-virus, I would like a direct answer, please. 

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi, sheilafinn16,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community.

The reason why you are getting the message that says you have unprotected passwords is because your Trend Micro detected that you are currently saving your online account password to your browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox). These passwords are considered unprotected as it is vulnerable to hackers.

You can check what passwords are saved by going in to your browser settings.

Hope this helps! 

-TM_Angelo

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

Thank you for trying to help but I have checked my browser settings and there are no saved passwords. If Trend Micro believes there are, then have them say where they have found them and in what browser when they notify us of the breach. I am a 33 year infrastructure programmer, so this is not like I don't know where to find the stored passwords and I would appreciate a real answer by Trend Micro taking action. Not telling me to look where I already have and found nothing. Respond with where Trend Micro is supposedly finding these passwords. 

Thank you, 

Sheila

Brand User

Superstar

• 

445 Messages

• 

8.6K Points

Hi sheilafinn16,

We would like to take a look at this closely, please provide us the following information:

1. Trend Micro version
2. On what device and its Operating System Version.

Let us know how it goes.

-TM_Angelo

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights