Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Monday, September 11th, 2023 5:10 PM

Closed

Unprotected Password in a browser

I have been getting this message since I installed the Trend Micro software.  After asking and asking and asking about what browser and what passwords it was referring to since none of the browsers I use on my PC have any (Chrome, Chromium, Firefox and Edge), I attempted to start up Internet Explorer.  Now that that is an unsupported browser and it auto opens Edge instead, I had to do a bit more research.

I found that in the settings for Edge, you can clear the Internet Explorer cache and data.  I found this under:

Settings -> Privacy, search, and services -> Clear browsing data for Internet Explorer

In the Clear browsing data now I clicked the button "Choose what to clear" and selected everything (including the Passwords option).  After this was complete, I no longer get the unprotected passwords message.

I wish Trend Micro could point people to this instead of telling them to install more software, the support ticket I had open I would consider a complete support failure.

Hopefully this will help others.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

128 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

11 months ago

Hi @gbbull, 

Thank you for sharing your experience about our Internet Security.

You're receiving this message after the scan because you have stored passwords in your browser with is not advisable as it could lead to account/password theft. Other than deleting the password on your browser's setting, I may suggest to configure the Password Manager in the web browser you're currently using so that your account credentials will be protected.

For detailed instructions on how to set it up, please visit our knowledge-based website at the following link: How to enable Password Manager Extension

Hope this helps.

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

120 Points

Typical response.  Instead of acknowledging that I already use another password product and that I found the cause on my own, you again attempt to have me install another of your products that I don't need.  If you would indicate where it is pulling this info (every browser that actually starts up showed 0 stored passwords), it would have been resolved long ago.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

76 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

Hi @gbbull,

We apologize if the solution we offered involves the direct installation of another Trend Micro product for password protection. As previously mentioned in our response, the reason you're encountering prompts regarding unprotected passwords is due to the presence of saved passwords from your browser (e.g., Edge).

In the future, we will inquire with the user whether they prefer to remove or protect these unprotected passwords, ensuring that we can provide a tailored solution that best addresses their concern.

​ 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights