190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Saturday, January 30th, 2021 1:31 AM

Closed

Resolved

Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android Incorrect Web Filtering Behaviour

Hello,

I have now received my Galaxy S21 Ultra and decided to try out Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android.

First, congratulations, it is a very comprehensive and well built product, that also follows the UI framework of the desktop products.

However, web filtering has an incorrect behaviour when searching on google.

If for example a google search is performed on "15.k", the following alert appears:

However, I did not attempt to open 15.k as a website, I simply performed a Google Search on that.

The same can be triggered with any search.

To trigger the alert bellow I performed a search on "trigger.behaviour test". I am using Google Chrome for Android.

I am using the aggressive web filtering setting.

The issue occurs not only when typing the search criteria in the omni bar, but also in Google.com search field.

Accepted Solution

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

3 years ago

Hi, bvasilev

It is related and it's replicable on our end. It's the expected result since Mobile Security is set to the highest protection level on Web guard where it blocks any signs of fraud or phishing which includes possible search results and URLs in the same format. Setting it to the highest level will increase its sensitivity to blocking sites and results. 

The protection levels are explained in this guide: 

How to use Web Guard (Mobile Security for Android)

- TM_Reine

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@reine_roque

It seems a bit awkward to configure the URL parser engine this way, but in the same time it is understandable. Thanks for your reply.

Users should just not include any dots in the search criteria.

(edited)

Brand User

Superstar

• 

579 Messages

• 

9.4K Points

3 years ago

Hi, bvasilev!

Thank you for your time and effort in checking on how to improve the web filtering of Mobile Security. We'll have to take a look at this on our end as well.  We shall pass this on to our developers so they can check and evaluate it.

- TM_Cathy

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

3 years ago

Hi, bvasilev

This thread is related to the other post you created which is Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android and Desktop Products Filtering is inconsistent

Since your current protection level is at the highest mode Mobile Security will trigger a blocking page for any suspected links. There are more URLs encountered with a mobile device that can't be rated, to provide better protection Mobile Security will warn customers on all untested sites. 

- TM_Reine

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

@reine_roque Thanks for your reply, but it is not related. The other one is expected behaviour and this one is a bug. When I type a suspicious link in the URL, I understand it being blocked. However the issue here is that search criteria (for example typing "Trend.Micro community" in the google.com search field) causes the software to recognise Trend.Micro as a link. And because Trend.Micro is not tested (and it shouldn't be, it is not a real website), this causes a "Suspicious URL" alert. It can be reproduced this way:

1. Open Google.com website

2. In the search field type few words and include a dot between 2 of them.

Trend Micro Mobile Security will then display the block page, though in reality, what you've typed is not an actual URL.

(edited)

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

This is a link to a screen recording, valid till the 22nd of Feb:

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/wVyYKbMV62P5

(edited)

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

3 years ago

You're welcome bvasilev :) this is a great topic for discourse. Have a great day ahead!

Superstar

• 

190 Messages

• 

7.6K Points

Thanks @reine_roque, you too!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights