10 Messages

• 

240 Points

Monday, September 9th, 2019 9:23 PM

Closed

Mobile Security for Android and VPN Connection request

Hi all.
2 related questions.

First, I would like to know what this message means (See jpg below).
It pops ups from time to time on my Android 9....

Where is this VPN connection directed to? By which service is it needed? Just to be sure it is legit and from your product and not a malware.....

Then, it seems that without accepting the VPN connection Firefox is not protected by Safe Surfing.
Why is a VPN connection necessary in this case?

Thank you and sorry for the brevity and the possible typos

Brand User

Hustler

• 

163 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

5 years ago

Hi rainfall,

Welcome to the Trend Micro Home Users Community!

The connection request message is from Mobile Security since it can use a local Virtual Private Network (VPN) on your device. There are two options under SafeSurfing - Supported Apps are automatically protected by SafeSurfing while those that are listed on VPN Supported Apps you'll need to manually enable the protection. 

Accepting the VPN connection is necessary for Firefox since it's listed under VPN supported apps, which allows Mobile Security to scan and notify you about suspicious links.

- Reine

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

100 Points

Is that Trend micro Mobile security? Eric

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Yes it's Trend Micro Mobile Security for Android.

- TM_Reine

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

240 Points

5 years ago

Dear Reine,
Thank you for the fast answer.

May I ask you why this is necessary for Firefox and not for Chrome or Whatsapp (for example)?

And, sorry for the newbie question, what is exactly a local VPN network? Does it mean that my data are tunneled by VPN to my local Trendmicro and then to the network? In another words, is this VPN shielding my mobile browsing to external eyes or is just something between Firefox and Trendmicro Mobile software?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.
Brand User

Hustler

• 

163 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

5 years ago

Hi rainfall,

Most common popular apps that are downloaded by users are listed under Supported Apps otherwise it's under VPN Supported Apps. Firefox which is under VPN Supported Apps, which requires to ask permission first from the user before VPN is enabled. 

Your analogy is correct. The main function of a VPN is to mask your information. So if you would enable the function VPN Supported Apps on Firefox it should be able to protect your browsing experience. 

- Reine

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

240 Points

5 years ago

Thanks TM_Reine
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

208 Messages