Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

Friday, December 8th, 2023 12:54 AM

Closed

Trend's daily pop-up regarding PUA threat - cannot quarantine?

Hello, I have been having Trend popping up with the 'threat' below for "PUA.MacOS.JAILBREAK.MANP" several times a day. I know what is a PUA and have searched through my applications in my Macbook for PUAs and cannot find any relevant ones. I've checked my browser (Chrome) for add-ons and there are none.

I have tried to manually delete that file associated with the PUA - it is the "MobileDeviceUpdater" (unix executable) in the MacOS sub-sub-sub folder. I have tried to delete this sub-sub-sub folder but cannot be deleted. 

I have tried running command "rm (dropfile in here)" - also to no avail. 

I read that this MobileDeviceUpdater is somehow related to iPhone OS update or something?

Any thoughts or help to remove this PUA threat that keeps popping up in Trend scan?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

122 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

8 months ago

Hi @vaunce ,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community. 

We understand that you've got this pop up. Thank you for providing the steps that you already done and considering steps in PUA.MacOS.Jailbreak.MANP.

Since you already identified the PUA on your device, possible that there are still remnants of the application the reason why it is still detected. It is much better to check the folders and sub folders on your mac to completely remove the remnants. You can also check the publisher name of the identified PUA because sometimes, the folders are named to their designated publisher names. You may refer to the file path given by Trend micro detection to locate the remaining files. 

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

Having the exact same issue!

I have been able to locate the folder, but how do I delete it??

Is not locked, but unable to delete

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

@vaunce and @info57bbd3,

Kindly provide the exact file and location where the detected file is found.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

@info57bbd3,

Upon checking the location you provided contains updates packages for the mac computer and it might not be safe to remove.  You can check with apple support just to be sure.

(edited)

Neophyte

• 

5 Messages

• 

150 Points

OK so how do I remove this   PUA.MacOS.Jailbreak.MANP

Disappointing that TREND identifies the threat, but is "Unable to Quarantine"

What do I do ?????

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

76 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

Hi @info57bbd3,

We've identified this as a false positive detection, and since it's a system file, quarantine isn't possible. We're actively reclassifying it, and rest assured, we'll share an update on this thread as soon as we have more information.

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

140 Points

7 months ago

Hi Everyone, ok so I tried different ways to resolve this "threat". Since it was linked to a 'mobiledeviceupdater' I connected my iphone and updated the software on my iphone, when the pop-up came up, asking to update. After doing this, the "threat" message no longer came up! 

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

76 Messages

• 

1.7K Points

Hi @vaunce,

We appreciate your suggestion. Please be advised that the reclassification has been successfully completed, and the PUA.MacOS.Jailbreak.MANP should no longer be identified as a threat.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights