Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

20 Points

Thursday, October 31st, 2019 7:33 AM

Closed

Trend Micro slowing MacBook after update to Catalina

I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.1 and was almost unable to use internet. Connection was either slow or non-existent. Was adviced to uninstall Trend Micro and restart laptop. I did this and it fixed the problem. I am now without security on my laptop. Please sort this out ASAP.

Official Solution

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

5 years ago

To our Valued Community Members,

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We are already aware of this issue. Our team is actively working to isolate the problem and identify the Root cause to provide a permanent fix. The solution is expected to be released within this week. We'll keep you posted.

~Cha

Official Solution

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

5 years ago

To our Valued Community Members,

A fix has already been deployed for this issue. If the Trend Micro program is installed on your Mac you just trigger a program update.

Performing a manual update on your Trend Micro Security for Mac

If you already uninstall Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac, here's our latest installer equipped with the fix.

Installing Antivirus for Mac

- Reine

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

With all due respect - your users keep telling you that this is not fixed.

3 Messages

• 

38 Points

It's not fixed. I just now uninstalled Trend Micro, tested - Mac sped up again. Installed 2020 Trend Micro Antivirus - slow as snot again.

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Hi, asedlon.

Please follow the instructions from this link to fix the issue.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

- Kim

3 Messages

• 

38 Points

@kim_de_guzman Not really. Just installed hotfix on main desktop with Catalina installed. Went to Skechers website to test - took 13 seconds to resolve the whole page first time (not cached). Macbook (not Catalina) took half that time to load Skecher's website (not cached).

Both - Safari; no ad blockers; web toolbar turned off.

My husband has same Mac desktop with Catalina installed and Norton AV - no problems.

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Sorry about that, asedlon.

Can you try this hotfix instead?

Let us know how it goes.

- Kim

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

5 years ago

Same here, reproducible on 2 Mac. Download close to zero and ping up from 10ms to 2.000 ms.

Reinstall of Trend Micro did not help.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

268 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

5 years ago

Hi neilharsant & afhh11,

For us to further check on this issue, may I ask for the following?

1. Do you experience this on all of your browsers?
2. Do you receive any error messages when trying to access a website?
3. What version of the Trend Micro Antivirus was installed on your PC?

If you have any other information about the issue, do let us know. This could help us with the troubleshooting.

Kindly observe as well the behavior of your computer if Trend Micro is disabled.

Click on the link below to see the instructions on how to enable or disable your Trend Micro Security software:

Disabling or enabling your Trend Micro Security software

Awaiting for your response.

~Pia

1 Message

• 

12 Points

The same here. Im waiting a solution.

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

I received a hotfix

After installing TM and hot fix:

Download improved significantly, is now at 100 Mbps where it shoud be.

Upload is worse than before and now at 28 Mbps, should be 40 and is currently without hot fix at 35 Mbps

Latency/Ping is still unacceptably low: 60 ms, TM again uninstalled it falls to 6-12 ms.

Quitting TrendMicro resolves the Problem, turning it on again leads again to the latency increas (aboud 5-10 times, from >10 to 50-100 ms).

So, there is still more work to do for TM

(edited)

2 Messages

• 

20 Points

5 years ago

Same here. Upgraded yesterday afternoon and after hours of Apple time we narrowed it down to Trend Micro. Please advise when a fix is available

Unable to run speed checker software :)

Often get Unable to connect to website errors, system says site is unsecure.

Just tried it with Firefox and its the same problem. Very slow to load pages and images take an age.

Latency on the line is 600 + Ms

Other PC's on the network working fine.

Switched Wi-fi networks and problem travels across networks.

I wonder if it has got anything to do with the "relocated items" folder that has appeared on my desktop? Does anyone else have this?

(edited)

4 Messages

• 

40 Points

I have the "relocated items" folder also. Don't have a clue what it is or what I'm suppose to do with it. I am also having troubles with my Trend Micro, computer is running extremely slow and the TM won't check for updates. Keeps giving me an error "20547".

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

5 years ago

Apologies for the inconvenience. Please follow this guide to install a hofix for performance issues after upgrading your macOS to 10.15.1:

Antivirus for Mac Hotfix

You may reply to this thread for further concerns. 

- Reine

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

I received a hotfix

After installing TM and hot fix:

Download improved significantly, is now at 100 Mbps where it shoud be.

Upload is worse than before and now at 28 Mbps, should be 40 and is currently without hot fix at 35 Mbps

Latency/Ping is still unacceptably low: 60 ms, TM again uninstalled it falls to 6-12 ms.

Quitting TrendMicro resolves the Problem, turning it on again leads again to the latency increas (aboud 5-10 times, from >10 to 50-100 ms).

So, there is still more work to do for TM

(edited)

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

Hi, afhh11!

We sincerely apologize for the trouble you've had with the app. We'd be happy to take a look into this, I will send you a personal email

^Kree

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

5 years ago

Same, Safari runs extremely slow and you need to disable TM to restore functionality. I was on the phone for an hour with Apple tech support and the issue was isolated to TM.

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

One other issue which seems to be linked to TM (according to Apple tech support) is the inability to shut down normally. iMac goes into restart mode due to an error and you need to power the machine off to completely shut down.

1 Message

• 

14 Points

I had exactly the same issues you described....very slow loading of web pages in Safari. Firefox was even slower and failed to load even more. I even installed Opera with the same results. Some other software, (even regular Apple products like Mail) refused to open. Trent Micro would hang even.

I had the same failure to shut down issues as well.

I even reinstalled Catalina, and that changed nothing. It wasn't until I uninstalled the updated Trend Micro that everything suddenly went back to normal. I feel a bit naked without it, but I'll wait until these issues are properly fixed before installing again. I've used TM for years on both Windows and Mac machines and this is the first time I've had issues like this.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

Hi sickelsb1 and waynetelfer,

We apologize for the inconvenience that you have encountered. You may follow the instructions on the link below to install the Hotfix for the performance issues after upgrading your macOS to 10.15.1

Antivirus for Mac Hotfix

Let me know how it goes.

~Cha

5 Messages

• 

50 Points

5 years ago

The Mac Hotfix works, it's only a solution for now.

Webside loading time ist better, but not satisfying.

Mac shut down not used until yet. May be producing new problems.

5 Messages

• 

50 Points

5 years ago

After restart my mac today, I'm waiting for the green hook at the TM icon. Now, 15 MINUTES gone -> nothing. Only the coloured ball is rotating.

Neophyte

• 

6 Messages

• 

60 Points

5 years ago

Catalina was going fine on my imac until 10.15.1 update was installed.

Turned the system on issues where Safari and Chrome running crazy slow along with Office programs. Shutting down took ages.

Uninstalled TM and hey presto its all working again.

Installed TM back and there is a red exclaimation mark against TM but everything else is working ok.

1 Message

• 

10 Points

5 years ago

Following this post as I am also having trouble.

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

Hi, trace.12.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We are already aware of this issue and our team is actively working to isolate the problem and identify the root cause to provide a permanent fix.

We'll keep you posted.

- Kim

4 Messages

• 

40 Points

5 years ago

I'm following this post also since I'm having the same problems. Also TM won't update gives me an error message "20547". I also have a folder on my desk top that is called "relocated items". Don't have a clue what it is or what I'm suppose to do with it. I'm not sure if I got the folder after I updated to the Catalina 10.15.1 or after I had to reinstall the updated version of TM that is suppose to work with Catalina 10.15.1. Thank you for your help.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

Hi cadudley1,

Can you check if you have the latest version of the Trend Micro Antivirus installed on your Mac? You may check this link as a reference on how to Check if you have the latest version of Trend Micro Security for Mac

Also, may I know the version of your Mac?

Awaiting your response.

~Cha

4 Messages

• 

40 Points

Cha,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back here. Computer is so slow its hard to get anywhere. The version I have is 10.0.1681 it says New version available but it won't let me update it. Gives me an error message "20547".

I have an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch) MacOS Catalina 10.15.1.

Is this what you're asking for? I am not very computer illiterate, sorry.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

Thanks for the response, cadudley1! That's the details I need. 

Please Perform a manual update on your Trend Micro Security for Mac since there's already a fix for this issue. 

Let me know how it goes.

~Cha

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

5 years ago

Following....I have also been forced to uninstall TM. I attempted to reinstall with the latest 2020 version only to find that TM would not fully open and to call support. Please get this fixed.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

Good day, kittsjosh!

My name is Kree, welcome to the Trend Micro Community.

Good news, the fix for this issue is already available. All our installers are now equipped with the latest update.

You can use this installer: Installing Antivirus for Mac

We're always happy to hear from you!

3 Messages

• 

30 Points

I have corrected the issue, by completely dumping TM AV, and resinstalling the latest version with the Hot patch I found in this thread. Everything is back to normal.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi kittsjosh,

We are glad that everything is working well now. Feel free to contact us again if you encounter any problem.

- Kath

- TM_Kath

1 Message

• 

10 Points

5 years ago

I have the same problem. Just spoke with Apple and was advised to uninstall TM. To answer the questions below: Yes, it messes up all browsers. Computer will never shut down, only restarts. Going to uninstall it as soon as I finish this message.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

866 Messages

• 

34.9K Points

Good day, goose1063!

My name is Kree, welcome to the Trend Micro Community.

Good news, the fix for this issue is already available. If you still have the Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac installed on your computer there's no need to reinstall, we just need to initiate a program update.

Performing a manual update on your Trend Micro Security for Mac

If you already uninstall Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac, here's our latest installer equipped with the fix.

Installing Antivirus for Mac

We're always happy to hear from you!

5 Messages

• 

50 Points

5 years ago

Sorry, nothing is really better.

Yesterday I got version 10.0.1681 (the now newest version).

Today same behavior as described in my second comment four days ago.

18 minutes after starting my mac, TM like to change something, password, green hook.

Mhm!

Website loading time not really fast.

Makes it sense to change to TM 2020?

4 Messages

• 

40 Points

teegee, I see they never answered you back. I have the 10.0.1681 thats the one I had when I started having problems. I'm due to update my TM in Feb. might have to cancel my update if its going to be like this.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights