Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

170 Points

Wednesday, August 30th, 2023 5:04 PM

Closed

Trend Micro Check for Safari is blocking videos on CNN, Patreon and HuffPost websites

For quite some time, videos at the top of most/all CNN website articles won't play when the Trend Micro Check extension for Safari is enabled.  Clicking the ">" Play button results in a circling arrow that never stops.  Disabling the extension allows the videos to play.  My guess is Trend Micro Check is blocking the videos because they start with an ad.

A couple of days ago, I was unable to see a video on a Patreon artist's page – there was just a blank space where the preview image should appear (like the blank spaces when Trend Micro Check detects an ad).  When I disabled the extension and refreshed the page, the preview image appeared and the video played with no problem.  In this case, there was no ad before the video.

Today, the video blocking showed up on HuffPost videos – the preview image is shown, and a second later "ERROR LOADING" appears over the image instead of the ">" Play button.  Like CNN, HuffPost videos start with an ad.

Feature request:  Add an option to Trend Micro Check for Safari to keep its hands off all embedded videos.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

76 Messages

• 

1.6K Points

11 months ago

Hi @wardclark,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community. 

We value your feedback regarding our Trend Micro Check extension. In order to conduct a more thorough investigation, could you kindly provide us with the specific websites that have been impacted by our extension? This will help us review the issue on our side. Thanks! 

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

170 Points

A Google Search regarding the Trend Micro Check extension reminded me of this problem report from last August.

I'm currently running version Trend Micro Check 22.0.5, and I'm pleased to report all three of the sites in my original report are working fine.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

92 Messages

• 

1.9K Points

Hi @wardclark 

Glad to know that the mentioned sites from the original report is now working fine.

Thank you for providing us an update regarding this.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights