Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

Wednesday, November 29th, 2023 5:34 AM

Closed

PUA.MacOS.Tuneupmac.PFH

My scan result says that the above Threat was detected and can not be deleted. What is the PUA.MacOS.Tuneupmac.PFH Threat and should I be worried?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

8 months ago

Hi @kbshanley,

Welcome to Trend Micro Users Community!

It seems that the Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac detects Mac Tune up, Can you confirm if you have it installed on your computer? 

Mac Tuneup Pro, sometimes referred to as Mac-TuneupPro, Mac Tuneup, or Mac-Tuneup-Pro, is advertised as a genuine program that promises to optimize and improve the performance of Mac computers.

It is most likely to get into computers without the prior authorization of the user, though. Additionally, it is advertised through misleading alerts that seem to be faults and entice users to obtain fixes. Consequently, Mac Tuneup Pro falls under the category of potentially undesired applications (PUA).

On this case, you may manually remove the program to your mac computer, check malicious extensions on your browser and remove it as well. 

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

8 months ago

I have the exact same issue on my MacBook Pro using macOS Sonoma.  I searched my Mac as well as my Time Machine backups and do NOT have Mac-TunupPro, Mac Tuneup or Mac-Tuneup-Pro anywhere on my system.

Does the Mac OS have "hidden files" that I need to jump thru a hoop to view?  I'm at a loss.  I'm getting the report from Trend Micro every morning (or close to it), and while the reports may not appear quite the same, they do appear to have the "Tuneup" commonality as well as a "Photo" duplicate cleaning application associated with it.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

8 months ago

Hi @k7jv ,

May I know if you installed this app on your MAC?

If yes, kindly uninstall it and all the related apps that was installed with it. As this app displays fake scan results simply to trick users into purchasing so-called 'full versions' that deliver no real value. Once purchased, these apps merely clean the fake list and nothing more. They do not enhance system performance in any way. It can also install other unwanted apps , so again the best way to resolve your issue is by uninstalling this app and other apps that were installed with it.

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

Hi and thanks for the reply. I searched my Mac and can't find that particular App. So it seems I haven't installed that App however, I did have a program/app named 'Photos Duplicate Cleaner' which, after a lot of searching and guesswork was responsible (I hope) for the Scan results I mentioned. I deleted the app and am doing another full scan so I will advise if this solved the issue. Thanks again.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @kbshanley ,

Thank you for acknowledging, if ever you still have detections , you may try to look into other apps that may look suspicious to you as they should be the ones causing this detections. If you need further assistance don't hesitate to reach out.

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

90 Points

@™_vince​ Thank you, Vince.  I do not believe that I ever had that application on my Mac.  I did have the Photos Duplicate Cleaner, however, and I did delete that app a few days back.  I will see if that stops the detections.  The thought of PUA's is a little scary, as the word "potentially" doesn't bring me a great level of comfort.

Thank you again, Vince, and "kbshanley".  I did just do a scan and it came back clean.  We'll see, going forward.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Hi @k7jv,

Thanks for sharing this to the community!

Have a great day!​ 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights