Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Monday, November 27th, 2023 11:35 AM

Closed

PUA.MacOS.Jailbreak.MANP

I have this coming up in my scan results and not sure what to do?

It seems to be in my backup files so I delete them but they still show up in new backups.

I can't seem to find anything here?

Unable to Quarantine 

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

8 months ago

Hi @angusstuart ,

There is a possibility that you might've installed an unwanted app or extension. You need to remove the potentially uwanted app or extension completely to remove the detection above. In order for you to do that, here are some steps that you can follow: 

Removing any suspicious application :

1. On the upper left part of your screen, Click “Go” and open “Utilities“.
2. Open Activity Monitor.
3. Stop the process of the app you want to remove or stop any processes you believe are suspicious.
4. Open the “Go” menu again and choose Applications.
5. Type the suspicious app’s name and drag it onto Trash.
6. Select “Accounts” and click on “Login Items“. Remove any suspicious items that are set to run automatically.

Removing malicious browser extensions:

For Google Chrome:

1. Open Chrome and click on the drop-down menu at the top-right corner.

2. From the menu open “Tools” and click on “Extensions”.

3. Find any PUA.MacOS.JailBreak.MANP – related add-ons and extensions and click on the garbage icon to remove them.                                                                        

For Mozilla Firefox: 

1. Open Firefox and select the top-right menu.

2. From it, click on “Add-ons” setting.

3. Click on the suspicious extension and click “Remove”.

4. Restart Firefox.

For Safari :

1. Start Safari.

2. Click on the Safari drop-down menu on top-right.

3. From the drop-down menu, click Preferences.

4. Click on “Uninstall” and accept any prompts.

Let me know if this helps.

(edited)

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

8 months ago

Hi @tm_vince 

Removing any suspicious application??? How dod I know, I don't have many applications but not sure how I would know if suspicious?

For Google Chrome:

only have Google docs online and Trend Micro Toolbar for Mac

For Safari :

All I have in the top right is Share, New Tab and show tab overview. but are we looking for extensions, if so only Trend Micro Password Manager and Trend Micro Toolbar for Mac

Any thoughts?

I do have the lasted MAcOS Sonoma v 14.1.1 and always update Trendmicro

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

8 months ago

Hi @angusstuart,

You can try to refer to this link to know what are the usual behaviors of suspicious apps or PUAs : https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/intkb/article/?code=tmka-18696 .

Once you identified the malicious app , you can uninstall it and perform another scan to check if the detection still exists.

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Access Denied :(

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

@angusstuart,

We apologize for that. Kindly try the link below wherein you'll find some descriptors of what PUAs are and after identifying if there are PUAs installed on your system, you can proceed in uninstalling them.

How to remove Potentially Unwanted Applications on Windows | Trend Micro Help Center

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Hi @tm_chard,

do you have a link for Apple OS?

Thanks,

Gus

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

236 Messages

• 

4.8K Points

Hi @angusstuart​, 

To know what suspicious applications are installed on your computer, you may check the list of apps and uninstall those that you are not using or are aware of.

These apps frequently get onto your Mac through advertisements on other websites or by being linked to the software installers of other free programs. Their primary objective is to start creating different kinds of files on your Mac and displaying different kinds of pop-ups or advertisements.

If you still have a hard time identifying the malicious application, you may use our free online security scan called Trend Micro House Call. 

Hope this helps!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights