Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

30 Points

Monday, May 4th, 2020 12:15 AM

Closed

Malware attack MacOS Catalina 2013 MacBook Pro

Trend Micro intalled, running and updated on 30th April 2020, April 1st TrendMicro alerted threat detected but was unable to clean. clickthrough to view file associated with threat to "MRT" which I understand is actually Malware Removal Tool component of MacOS. Malware also blocked Wifi access preventing any attempt to secure Virius Removal tools (A few searcheds revealed that Malwarebytes had been successful in removing other MRT based attacks). I did not have anyway to connect to web through ethernet (Only USB-C connections on MBPro) and have had to take my machine away for remediation by a third party (Estimated at $350 for OS re-build). Very concerned that Trend did not protect me in this instance as I am a remote worker entirely dependent on my machine being available

Brand User

Legend

• 

682 Messages

• 

10.1K Points

4 years ago

Hi, andyrk123.

This happens because, the MRT file is a built-in security of Apple. It's possible that the file has been updated thus Trend Micro program detected it. We've immediately had the file reviewed for its integrity and updated our pattern. After a manual update, it should no longer be detected.

Make sure that you have installed the latest version of protection. You can get the installer from this link: How to install Antivirus for Mac.

In case you got the latest version already, you can follow the instruction on the link below on how to do a manual update:

How to perform manual update

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

- Kim

Neophyte

• 

2 Messages

• 

30 Points

Thanks Kim,

Hopefully that is the source of the problem. I have had to send my machine off to get re-built (I simply cannot afford to lose access). What if any redress is there to offset the cost of getting this done?

Thx,

Andrew

1 Message

• 

10 Points

Also got this

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi moyosibangilizwe,

Are you getting the same detection after performing an update? 

How to perform manual update (Antivirus for Mac)

Let us know here by responding to this thread. Thanks!

- Reine

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights