Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Monday, March 15th, 2021 7:02 PM

Closed

Answered

How to enter a bank account number in ID Security?

I want to add bank account numbers to ID Security so that they can be monitored. Bank account numbers are not unique unless accompanied by a sort code - or alternatively specified as an IBAN or SWIFT number. Which format does ID Security require?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

764 Messages

• 

13.6K Points

3 years ago

Hi, morrisfm

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community.

To add a bank details on ID Security, you just have to enter the plain account number like how you enter it on fields when making a purchase.

You may check the link below to know more about ID Security:

FAQ: Trend Micro ID Security 

How to add data for monitoring in ID Security

Hope this helps

-TM_Rochelle

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Hi Rochelle,

Thanks for your reply, but I am not sure you understand the problem. You said:

"you just have to enter the plain account number like how you enter it on fields when making a purchase".

This is nuts. I would never, EVER enter a bank account number when making an online purchase. It's not possible to do that. What I do enter is a credit or debit card number. These are completely different from my actual bank account number.

So my question is still unanswered. (And yes, I already looked at those links and they don't say anything relevant.)

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

766 Messages

• 

15.4K Points

Hi !

To add Bank Account to your ID Security, you will need to enter your account number accompanied by its identifier.

Let us know if you are looking for another answer.

- TM_Kath

- TM_Kath

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

Thank you, that answer is progress. Now please can you help with some of the detail?

- Bank identifier: what should this be? Sort code? SWIFT code? Or something else?

- How should the bank ID be combined with the account number? Which should be entered first? Should the numbers (or codes) be run together without a separator, or should they be separated by - what? A space? Or a special character? (what character?)

Without these details, you can appreciate I'm sure that it would not be possible for me to type something in without knowing whether or not I am typing gibberish.

Your comment would be appreciated.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

3 years ago

Hi morrisfm,

The bank account number in ID Security can contain alphanumeric characters in lower case and should be typed with no spaces. For US bank accounts, it can be from 6 to 23 digits.

Example: 40051512345674

A Great Britain Bank Account numbers consist of: SSSSSSAAAAAAAA

SSSSSS - Sortcode

AAAAAAAA - Account Number

Source: UNITED KINGDOM IBAN AND BIC FORMAT

Note: The bank account format will vary depending on which country your account is based in.

Let us know if you have questions, we'll be happy to check it for you. Thanks!

- TM_Reine

Neophyte

• 

4 Messages

• 

160 Points

@reine_roque Thank you very much for this helpful information.

A couple of things to point out, however...

It turns out that the SSSSSSCCCCCCCC sequence is the BBAN number (Basic Bank Account Number) as used in the UK. As you say, the format is country-specific.

The trouble with BBAN is that this number format is not generally known. As a UK citizen, I had never heard of BBAN before getting into this conversation. (I am very familiar with IBAN numbers, which are longer and contain a country code - but these don't work in your system.)

It would therefore be much more helpful if Trend Micro could document, somewhere in help text, that the bank account number should be the BBAN number. Once people know this, they can look up what a BBAN number is like for their country, to find the correct format.

BBAN numbers are NOT, of course, unique internationally (which is why IBAN numbers are used instead). So if I enter a BBAN into ID Security for checking, there is a chance of getting a "false positive" if it matches someone else's BBAN from a different country. Which is less than ideal..!!

There could of course be good reasons why ID Security does not monitor a full IBAN number. For example I'm guessing that stolen numbers may not usually surface in this format. And no doubt the Trend Micro system is not intelligent enough to deduce a country code from the context.

By the way, regarding your statement "The bank account number in ID Security can contain alphanumeric characters in lower case and should be typed with no spaces": these are not the only format requirements. There must be more detailed format checking going on. I know this because I tried typing in an IBAN number (22 alphanumeric characters) and was told "incorrect format".

It's good that the format is being checked more rigorously - but this reiterates the point that people must be aware of what format is required. Hence the request that a mention of BBAN is added to help text.

I would be interested to hear any comments you might have. And thanks again!

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi morrisfm,

Thank you for sharing your insights regarding the features of ID Security as of writing we're reconfirming the function to add alphanumeric characters, I'll update this thread for any clarifications regarding it.

As for your request for documentation, rest assured this is considered and we'll work on it once we got the information needed. 

- TM_Reine

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights