Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

8 Messages

• 

120 Points

Tuesday, January 7th, 2020 8:24 PM

Closed

Can't print: Print driver tries to open files like this: /private/var/spool/cups/tmp/........ but can't open them

My Brother printer isn't able to print an Adobe pdf from my iMac. The error message I get from the printer is

Stopped - Can't open "/private/var/spool/cups/tmp/06bcd5e2123b3" or another code at the end with the same /private/var/spool/cups/tmp/ address.

I suspect it's because the /private/var/spool/cups/tmp/ addresses are being blocked by Trend Micro as a quarantine or other blockage.

How do I fix this and prevent it from occurring?

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

170 Points

4 years ago

I had the same issue which drove me crazy for quite sometime. Finally, I followed the recommendation from Adobe which is to change the printer settings. In the print advanced settings check the box to "print as image". Not a great solution, but it worked for me. The bug is in the adobe print driver which obviously doesn't have access to the necessary subfolder in /private/. The bug has been present for quite some time, yet Adobe has yet to fix it. Hope this helps.

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

4 years ago

Thanks for sending a suggestion ghorwith

rwoolley2, I looked into this concern and found a similar thread from the Adobe Community. Please check if it would work on your end by following their support's suggestion - Unable to Print .pdf files using Acrobat Reader DC ver: 2019.010.20098

To truly determine if it's related to the Trend Micro program, you may try to temporarily turn off the antivirus protection then try to print. Here's how:

Disabling or enabling your Trend Micro Security software

- Reine

Neophyte

• 

8 Messages

• 

120 Points

Hi Reine and ghorwith,

There was a Mac OS security update pending; also a Trend Micro update. After both installed, I can now print pdf files. I looked at the acrobat link you provided. The issue looks identical to what I was seeing. Since it's working now I won't try the remedies suggested, especially since I would need to uninstall the Library files and not sure I could do that with my level of expertise. Thanks for your help!!

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

268 Messages

• 

3.5K Points

Hi rwoolley2,

Good to know everything's working fine now. 

Should you have further questions, feel free to post it here.

~Pia

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights