M
Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

380 Points

Tuesday, May 7th, 2024 9:49 AM

What's this BS 'security software password' rubbish???

After all the years of using Trend Micro Internet Security... it's now saying that if I want to 'temporary Turn off the Protection against viruses', I need to enable my Security Software Password... there's no way around this bollocks.

I use a lot of Widescreen hacks for games that enable the full use of my 32:9 monitor that Trend incorrectly deletes, thinking they're viruses but I've never had to deal with this type of crap until now.

If this feature isn't shortly disabled, or gives users the ability to disable it - I'll be cancelling my subscription to Trend Micro forever.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

136 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

2 months ago

Hi @mrpeterjohnston ,

Welcome to Trend Micro Community!

Would you be able to provide us with a screenshot of this message from the Trend Micro Security app? This will help us in identifying which feature of the program is triggering the notification.

Hustler

• 

118 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

2 months ago

Been like that for a couple of years now.  I commented on it in the past as I disable it when I am doing my imaging backups.

@tm_helen  when you right click the Trend icon in the taskbar and select disable protection, the enter password box opens up on the screen.  This is what the OP is referring to.

(edited)

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

128 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

Hi @davevt31​, 

Thank you for the insight. 

Hi @mrpeterjohnston,

May we know if you do have a password for your Trend Micro main console? If not, please provide a screenshot to help us with your concern.

Looking forward to your response. 

Superstar

• 

301 Messages

• 

7.4K Points

@davevt31​ 

Funny thing though, you need a password to disable protection but nothing to "Exit" TM.....

Hustler

• 

118 Messages

• 

2.7K Points

@claudiubotezatu​ That AND you have to have a password set to disable.  For years I had no password set at all. Then I had to put one in to do the disable.

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

380 Points

2 months ago

@davevt31​ Yes... this guy gets it. I've only ever had this for the last week or two maybe. It is the Password box that opens up when trying to temporarily disable the protection.

WHO thought this was a good idea??? And who decided that it had to be mandatory???

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @mrpeterjohnston,

If you want to disable the Trend Micro Antivirus , you can use our Trend Micro Diagnostic toolkit to stop all the components and disable the app. You can refer to this link and look for the steps on how to do it: How to Temporarily Disable Trend Micro Protection on Windows | Trend Micro Help Center

Let me know if you have questions.

(edited)

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

380 Points

@tm_vince​ Well... that seems dumb. If I want to disable the anti-virus - I might as well just quit the application (as claudiubotezatu mentioned)

... but being able to temporarily disable it via the system tray was far easier and quicker.

I would highly recommend rescinding this so called "feature" and put it back to the way it was.

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @mrpeterjohnston,

Usually when you close the Trend Micro Antivirus via the system tray, it should not ask you to setup the console password.

May I ask for the version of your Trend Micro Antivirus?

How to know the version of Trend Micro Antivirus? You can refer to this link:
https://helpcenter.trendmicro.com/en-us/article/TMKA-19044

Looking forward for your response.

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

380 Points

@tm_vince​ I think you completely missed my point. I know you don't get the Password console setup dialog when you exit the program, yet you get it if you try and temporarily disable the live protection... which to me seems rather dumb. If your goal was to have a password to give administrators more rights and privileges over users and to stop them disabling the protection, then you've failed given that they can just close the program and bypass the password.

I like being able to temporarily disable it from time to time without having to close it, and have been doing so happily for years.

It also seems very fiddly to have to go through the Diagnostic Toolkit as well.

(edited)

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

136 Messages

• 

3.2K Points

Hi @mrpeterjohnston 

The notification reminds users to set up a password to prevent unauthorized modifications to Trend Micro Security settings. Establishing a password is essential for temporarily deactivating the real-time scan and enhancing security by safeguarding against data theft and enabling parental controls.

Your suggestion is highly valued and considered as a valuable feature request.

Thank you.

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights