Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

Sunday, February 18th, 2024 1:50 AM

Closed

Trend Micro Wifi Protection never starts or runs on MacBooks

repeatedly installed and deleted Trend Micro Wifi Protection from my MacBook Pro/Air (all up to date and running Sonoma).

Click on the app - it briefly shows in the task bar and then disappears.

VPN settings missing from setting after each install.

More frustrating that the product runs fine on my iMacs  

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

160 Messages

• 

3.3K Points

5 months ago

Hi @iandtudor,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Trend Micro Wifi Protection on your Macbook.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you might consider:

1. Check for Compatibility: Ensure that Trend Micro WiFi Protection app is fully compatible with your MacBook Pro/Air model and the version of macOS you're running. Sometimes, compatibility issues can cause unexpected behavior.

2. Permissions and Settings: Check the permissions settings on your MacBook Pro/Air. Sometimes, restrictive permissions can prevent apps from functioning properly. Make sure the app has the necessary permissions to run smoothly.

3. Reinstallation with Clean Uninstall: Try uninstalling the app again, but this time, perform a clean uninstallation. This involves not only deleting the app itself but also removing any associated files or preferences that might be lingering on your system. Then, reinstall the app and see if the issue persists.

4. Check for Conflicting Software: Sometimes, other software or utilities on your MacBook Pro/Air can conflict with the Trend Micro WiFi Protection app, causing it to behave erratically. Try disabling or temporarily uninstalling any other security or networking-related software to see if that resolves the issue.

5. Update macOS: Ensure that your MacBook Pro/Air is running the latest version of macOS. Sometimes, updating your operating system can resolve compatibility issues and improve overall system stability.

Hope this helps!

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

5 months ago

at @trendmicrocomau this is my issue

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

122 Messages

• 

2.5K Points

Hi @iandtudor​, 

May we verify if you are sending a video of the issue you are experiencing or a screenshot only of the issue?

Are you able to follow the above instructions for isolating this concern? Please let us know how it goes after trying the above instructions.

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

Have completed all of the above and yes that the video showing the app try to launch and fail

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

169 Messages

• 

3.4K Points

Hi @iandtudor ,

The recording that you have posted is unable to be played. Could you please post another one? Also may I ask if you have installed any other VPN apps on your MAC in the past?

Will wait for your response.

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

Only ever used ever used trend micro vpn

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

5 months ago

works fine - press play - but what it shows is the app being clicked the icon appears and disappears and the VPN settings never load into settings/network/vpn settings

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

5 months ago

works fine - press play - but what it shows is the app being clicked the icon appears and disappears and the VPN settings never load into settings/network/vpn settings

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

128 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

Hi @iandtudor,

Thank you for the video.

You may try to remove the remnant files for the VPN on your Mac. Here's the link for the steps. 

Hope this helps! 

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

do I type this in command into terminal

sudo find /Users -type d -name "*com.trendmicro.MAC.TMPWP*" exactly the way it looks

cause when I do i get - No such file or directory

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

128 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

Hi@iandtudor​, 

I'm sorry about that. 

You may remove the asterisk (*) on the Sudo command.  Also, you may need to allow the permission that will be posted on your screen when you run this command. 

Thank you for noticing the error and we will update this article. 

Neophyte

• 

16 Messages

• 

490 Points

stupid question which * the first, last or both

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

128 Messages

• 

2.6K Points

Hi @iandtudor​, 

Don't worry, we understand.

Both of the asterisk (*) should be remove. 

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights