Neophyte

Neophyte

• 

1 Message

• 

100 Points

Wednesday, September 6th, 2023 8:19 PM

Closed

activated new ipad using apple procedure. Mobile security. somehow is now linked(synced) with the old ipad. using the same device name.

I activated a new ipad using the apple procedure and it basically cloned the old iPad. Now in trend micro I have 2 devices with the same name. unfortunately if I delete one of the ipads it deletes both. if i install on the new one, it also installs on the old. Apple says that I have done all that comes up on their screen, and they have no further fix. Trend micro spent time with me but no fix. any suggestions. no problem working as is until I sell the old Ipad. then what?

Brand User

Trend Security Expert

• 

115 Messages

• 

2.4K Points

11 months ago

Hi @jrmills,

Welcome to Trend Micro Home Users Community.

It is likely due to the automatic app synchronization feature provided by Apple particularly if both iPads are using the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

Here's how this works:

Automatic App Downloads: If you have "Automatic Downloads" enabled on both iPads, when you download an app on one device, it will automatically download and install on the other device using the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

iCloud Backup and Sync: If you have iCloud Backup enabled, your app data and settings may also sync between devices. If you delete an app on one iPad, it may get deleted on the other when iCloud syncs the changes. Similarly, if you install an app on one iPad, it may be installed on the other through iCloud synchronization. To manage this, you can adjust your iCloud settings.

To disable automatic app synchronization through iCloud on Apple devices, you can follow these steps:

iOS/iPadOS 14 and later:

1. Open the "Settings" app on your iOS/iPadOS device.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Privacy & Security."
  3. Tap on "iCloud."

In the "Apps Using iCloud" section, you will see a list of apps that use iCloud for synchronization.

To disable synchronization for a specific app, toggle off the switch next to the app's name.

iOS/iPadOS 13 and earlier:

1. Open the "Settings" app on your iOS/iPadOS device.
  2. Scroll down and tap on "Apple ID" or "iCloud" (depending on your iOS version).
  3. Tap on "iCloud."

In the list of apps using iCloud, toggle off the switch next to the app for which you want to disable synchronization.

Disabling iCloud synchronization for a specific app will prevent it from syncing data (including app installations) across your devices using the same Apple ID and iCloud account.

Please note that some apps may not provide individual settings to disable iCloud synchronization, and in such cases, you may need to disable iCloud entirely for the device if you want to stop all app synchronization. Keep in mind that this may also affect other iCloud services like photos, documents, and backups.

Hope this helps you!

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights