Superstar

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Tuesday, September 25th, 2018 10:36 PM

Closed

Information About High Disk Activity of Trend Micro Anti Malware Solution Platform

Hi,

We have been receiving a number of reported cases of slow computer performance and high disk activity of Trend Micro Anti Malware Solution Platform. This happens due to either of the following: 

1. Conflicting programs are installed on the computer 
  2. Computer is possibly infected by malware 
  3. Environment issue (e.g. outdated operating system, device specifications, etc.)
  4. Corrupted Trend Micro components

To solve this, please follow the instructions in this link:

Slow PC performance due to high CPU or memory usage of CoreServiceShell.exe

Please note that following the troubleshooting steps requires time and effort. If you need support members to help you with the steps, we recommend that you contact support here: 

Contact Trend Micro Support

CPU usage usually returns to normal after removing the root causes stated in the article above. But if there are no conflicting software, no malware infection, Trend Micro Security has been freshly installed or reinstalled, then we need to find other root cause/s which may be unique to your (or some) computer setup. 

Thanks, 
Trend Micro Community

2 Messages

• 

210 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Anti Malware high cpu usage.

I am totally confused by the way you are handling this issue. To me it looks like a high percentage of your users suffer from this issue. You have them jumping through hoops to fix it themselves. This is how software companies run their bushiness these days. you want our money and then you expect us to fix your software bugs. YOU NEED TO FIX THIS NOT US. Conflict with other software you fix it. Reload the program, No you push software patch to us.
Remnants of your old programs, REWRITE YOUR UNINSTALL PROGRAM.I am getting tired of your software. YOU will become as Norton on my list of never using your product.  

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled High CPU usage with the anti-malware solution platform.

I have started getting the high CPU usage for a few weeks now, with the anti-malware solution platform jumping between 3% up to 70% regularly, and sometimes higher. I have deleted all the conflicting programmes that are suggested and that I can find but no difference. No viruses or malware have been detected by Trend, and I have not added any new programmes. So why is it suggested to do a complete reinstall?
Brand User

Prodigy

• 

176 Messages

• 

4.4K Points

Hi rossflynn56,

Good question. 

I'd say generally if a program does not have any tool to fix or repair itself, reinstalling is the best way to reset the installation. It is possible that during the first time of installation, it wasn't as complete or successful as it's supposed to be. There might be broken packages, a dll failed to register, a module that did not successfully update, etc.

I can say the same thing for Trend Micro Security. So if the performance is not improved by removing conflicting software or malware and your device meets the requirement, then it could be a corrupted component. There are available hotfixes for some components but to reduce the effort of identifying which component is corrupted, the fastest way to fix it is reinstall.

^erza 

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled CPU Utilization of trend micro process rises untill windows explorer freezes, at ....

I would like to know how to generate or export logs, or where they are located.
I have had issues where the computer freezes, sometimes while not carrying out any activity other than viewing video stream in chrome.
This is a fairly new issue, in the last 3mo. A little bit after I installed windows 10 ver 1803 with the core memory isolation enabled.
Trend micro version: 12.0.1226
The component versions almost all show a release date of 05/09/2018

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi todd

Please refer to this thread for more details about this issue. The solution and possible root causes are also posted above. Debug logs may also help us check into this, in case the root causes mentioned do not cause the issue. The link below shows how to generate debug logs but I highly suggest you contact our support for assistance: 

Generating debug logs for Trend Micro Security

^X

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

I just dealt with Jessica on the Trend troubleshooting app.  SHe took remote control of my computer, and then advised me that Trend was NOT the problem, as it was EXPECTED to use 70% of CPU???????

Can this be accurate?  If so, can any other users recommend a less resource hungry software solution?

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

No is not normal!!! So are you updated to 2019 version when this happened?
If so uninstall by using this:
Click windows and R,
then type SupportTool,
click C uninstall,
then click 5,
then click 1 uninstall software.
reboot,
Do a regclean
Then do a new install.
Reboot.
And normal is less than 1% after a while, can be up to 100% sometimes, but this is for few seconds!
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Tom

3 Messages

• 

150 Points

Thanks for the response, Tom, but I had already done all that before I contacted Trend via the troubleshooting app. It was their staff member telling me that 70% was normal that has pushed me over the edge.

Uninstalling the password manager, as suggested by Ross below seems to have improved the situation somewhat, but is annoying, since, unlike him, I WAS using it.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi

Maybe you have software running that make TM active all the time

You can see that if TM is high in CPU use there is also a other program on that moment high in CPU use, this way you can find out the program that is doing it.
Are you sure no conflicting program is running from this list?
Programs to remove before installing Trend Micro Security
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1061023.aspx
Did you try the hotfix from TM_X underneath?
Hope you can solve it this way.

Kind regards,
Tom

2 Messages

• 

150 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Computer very Slow.

I am not satisfied with my internet security. It has slowed down my computer to unacceptable conditions. Your Trend Micro Anti-Malware solutions is taking 100% of my disk space. Either refund my money or tell me what I can do to solve this horrific condition!!!

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

6 years ago

Hi cburdman

Update to the latest version of TM!
Upgrading Trend Micro Security software to the latest version

Kind regards,
Tom

4 Messages

• 

170 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Using Windows 10: After every windows update, Trend Micro file MBG.db begins to m....

Although I do find other questions for the same topic/problem, I am not satisfied with the answers/solutions.  I find myself having to Uninstall, run remnant file remover, followed by folder permission.  Then, after a restart, reinstall Trend Micro.  Someone at Trend Micro has to find out what it is about every Windows Update that causes the program to go crazy.  The file being accessed is only 50MB in size.  I have purchased 10 licenses for a 2 year time period.  This is getting very time-consuming.  (I seem to have to do it every Tuesday evening, so I can work from remote (use my home PC and connect to work) the next day.

Although secondary in terms of importance, I cannot watch any Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix on my desktop due to the slowness of the system.  (I have an Intel M2 512GB drive.  So, it would be even worse on a regular SATA drive.

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi jgoucher3950

Apologies for the inconvenience. Are you able to follow the steps below?
  1. Disable the Trend Micro program (instructions here).
  2. Download the hotfix here and run it. 
Please observe and let us know how it goes. 

By the way, I highly suggest you upgrade to the latest version of the program first. If you encounter issues after that, apply the fix above. 

^X

6 Messages

• 

204 Points

For me, upgrading to the latest version appears to have addressed the issue for now.  I am sure that in the near future another Microsoft Update will cause the same thing to happen again.  I look forward to the day Trend actually fixes this issue that has been happening for a number of years now.

2 Messages

• 

130 Points

6 years ago

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled slower computer after recent update..

I received an automatic upgrade notice a couple of days ago. Since restarting to instruction it seems that my computer has slowed down. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this effect?

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi ian.bridger

Can you please take a screenshot of your Task Manager showing the processes? Any info about your computer will help us check this too (e.g. operating system, etc.).

^X

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

6 years ago

I think I have solved the problem now. I uninstalled Password manager, which I did not use.
CPU usage is down to zero % when web pages are not open, memory is down too.
It has been 3 days now and problem with high usage has not recurred.
Brand User

18 Messages

• 

524 Points

Hi rossflyn56,

Great job! If ever you encountered the similar problem in the future please consider Upgrading Trend Micro Security software to the latest version.

Cheers,
Shaun

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

"If ever you encountered the similar problem in the future" ????? Thanks Trend, but this suggestion NEVER NEVER fixed the problem. I upgraded to the latest version 15, and still had the same problems. I uninstalled and reinstalled on 4 occasions. I had one of your reps take control of my PC and work through it. All with no resolution to the high CPU. Instead of asking customers to fix your problems, I suggest that you take a look at the hordes of complaints about this issue, in this community page and other forums. If the other lady here, and I, fixed it by uninstalling Password Manager, do you think that some fault may be with your product, and not everybody else's PC? Something for your highly paid engineers to look at.

By the way, when will you be sorting the toolbar for Firefox's new update?

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi

In Netherlands (Dutch version of TM) the password manager is not a part of TM, i dont use it, only test it on English version for Beta testing.
The toolbar has  a fix.
[Hotfix] "Trend Micro Toolbar could not be verified..." error message appears on your Mozilla Firefox settings

Kind regards,
Tom

Neophyte

• 

10 Messages

• 

432 Points

Thanks Tom, I will look there
Brand User

18 Messages

• 

524 Points

Hi rossflynn56,

We will endorse your case to our Senior Engineers. We've sent you an email for more details.

Regards,
Shaun

6 Messages

• 

204 Points

6 years ago

I have the high disk usage on the latest version of Trend.  It started after the last Microsoft update.  I have a Trend tech helping my on their chat feature (case # 125739).  It says since Trend is only tacking about 10% of my CPU it is not an issue.  The problem is disk usage -- Trend is writing about 2 MB every few second to my disk slowing my computer down way too much.  He is telling me the disk usage is normal, lol.

I have attached an image of the disk usage.

6 Messages

• 

204 Points

As a follow up.  I just checked my wife's laptop and she has the exact same issue.  In the mean time I have been talking to this tech online for almost an hour with no progress made.  What a joke for customer service.  This is no way to run a software business.

6 Messages

• 

204 Points

Here is a quote from the Trend tech:

As Ive previously mentioned, based on the tasks using your computer right now its not consuming too much disk space. For a real time scan to work it should consume less than 3 MB.

Trend did not do this the weeks before the latest MS update.  But is doing it now.  There is something broken and they do not want to admit it.

When I tried to close the chat window a message appeared stating "Closing the chat window will prevent you from getting help. Are you sure you want to close the window?"   Are they serious -- after wasting an hour with their tech to tell me the now constant high disk usage is normal.  I have to find a new virus protection solution.

Superstar

• 

571 Messages

• 

9.5K Points

Hi jerry.markota

We've released a hotfix to solve this issue. You may find it here: 

Slow PC performance due to high CPU or memory usage of CoreServiceShell.exe

Let me know how it goes. 

^X

13 Messages

• 

290 Points

5 years ago

Hi, I am having this problem on the latest version of Trend Micro Antivirus+ (version 15.0.1204).  I installed the new version last night, and after removing remnants and re-installing I thought the CPU usage problem was resolved.  Then I turned off my laptop for the night, and when I turned it on this morning CoreServiceShell.exe was using a noticeable amount of CPU again.  Here is a screenshot I just took; the CPU usage is currently fluctuating between 30 and 45 percent.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi AMKagali

Can you make a other screenshot after you click on CPU in the Task Manager!
That way we can see all the programs from the top of the CPU usage!
By the way, did you try:
Win/R, type Supporttool, start the Tool go to tap C, click on 5, Click on 2 and 3 then Click on 4 and close the tool.
Than start again the Task Manager like i describe above and see of the problem still persist.

Kind regards,
Tom

13 Messages

• 

290 Points

I just did what you suggested, and the issue is still persisting.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi AMKagali

Can you put off the AOL products and see of the problems goes away?

Kind regards,
Tom

13 Messages

• 

290 Points

Yeah, it looks like ending the two AOL tasks did the trick.

Elite Solutionist

• 

1.4K Messages

• 

33.4K Points

Hi  AMKagali

Nice, but do you need the programs?
What does those programs?
If so try reinstall and see that works.

Kind regards,
Tom

2 Messages

• 

20 Points

4 years ago

You give us a link to follow - and it asks what our problem is. My computer sounds like a jet airline with anti malware running at an extreme level. Please sort this

2 Messages

• 

20 Points

Oh, I see the threasd is two years old. Looks like you did nothing and the users gave up too..

Brand User

Legend

• 

739 Messages

• 

10.2K Points

Hi roy,

Thanks for reaching out, can you provide more details about your concern?

1. Your computer specifications, here's how to check:

On Windows open Settings > System > About > Device Specification

2. Computer age - How long have you been using your computer?

3. What processes are running when you experiencing high CPU usage?

It would be best if you can include a screenshot so we can check the needed information.

Please refer to the link below for the steps on how to take a screenshot:

How to take a screenshot to send to Trend Micro Technical Support

- Reine

Neophyte

• 

3 Messages

• 

40 Points

3 years ago

This issue does not go away, even after you give full control to someone at TrendMicro to try to fix it. My computer has been useless for years now. The 100% disk usage is constant. This is unthinkable for any program to continue this way. You need to get into fixing the program itself.

Brand User

Prodigy

• 

361 Messages

• 

5.4K Points

Hi, mvabianchi.

This is not the usual behavior of the program.

For us to assist you better, is it okay if we schedule a callback? I'll be sending you an email and we'll continue our conversation from there. 

~TM_Cha

Need Help?

Ask the Community

Latest Tech Insights