You are doing something really stressful at renewal time. IT SEEMS ABSURD

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have to be connected to the internet to install each renewal.  You REQUIRE removing old SW version every renewal date.  My machine is left HOOKED TO THE NET for up to 1hr as you fiddly fart around putting in a new sw DL.  WHY am I exposed to this absurdity?
Photo of penpress

penpress

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of TM_Kree

TM_Kree, Official Rep

• 2,202 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello penpress and welcome to the Trend Micro Community,

We always make sure that our customers have the latest protection. The installation of the new Trend Micro version needs to be done annually, this is to secure that the Trend Micro program is equipped with the latest patches and capable to work perfectly with the computer's operating system that is updating from time to time. We also incorporate new features that will aid additional protection on password protection, network protection, anti-ransomware and etc on every upgrade.

On the other hand, the removal of the old Trend Micro Software before installing the new one is a requirement to secure the new installation since it will consider the old version as a different software and this might conflict with the new Trend Micro.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards,
Kree
Photo of penpress

penpress

You miss my point.  I keep updated through out the years.  I'm like a 12 yr customer.  What if I get attacked by some stinkin' virus while you are wiping me out and then reloading me.  in this day and age, that kind of exposure without protection for about an HOUR is scarey.  What do you do when you get me reloaded and installed, and your software finds something that shouldn't be there.  Do you remove it free, or do I have to waste my ONE FREE VIRUS removal b/c of this.

I didn't used to have to be wiped out and reinstalled every year.  This is a relatively new decision and why I dread renewing.  UGH

Photo of TM_Joemar

TM_Joemar, Alum

• 3,550 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi penpress,

Sorry for this experience. Reinstalling the program is only required / needed if there is a new product version released. This is needed so that all components and new variants of malware / virus are updated to keep your information and computer  protected.

Again, sorry for this experience and rest assured we are doing are best to improve these procedures for the benefit of our customers.

Regards,
Joemar
Photo of penpress

penpress

So, would you PLEEEEEEEASE address my critical question as to whether or not I am vulnerable during the hr it takes to uninstall and re-install at renewal time.  IF I GET ATTACKED, and need a virus removal immediately upon being "re-installed and protected again" after 1 hr of being hooked up on line and naked without TM protection, WHO BUYS ME THAT VIRUS REMOVAL?  I only get 1 a year.  It is disingenuous of you to swipe it upon re-installation, and then I'm on the hook for the next 12 months on my nickel.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Answer the question instead of avoid it, PULEEEEEEEEEEZE!

Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 27,650 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi penpress

Welcome to TM Home users Community, a public site where volunteers try to help each-other , also there are TM Employees that can give answers, that is only at working hours. I am just a volunteer!

It is so simple, download new program, go from the internet and uninstall and install the program till it ask you to go on the internet again, good luck!

Kind regards,
Tom

(Edited)
Photo of penpress

penpress

Thank you for your effort, kind sir.  But it is not so simple.  It is automated, and I never left the internet, except when it required I restart the machine.  That's when I get scared each renewal.  I have to hook to the internet, and then TM comes up automatically and INFORMS ME that they are now going to install the current version.  I have no option to "download, leave, comeback, upload and not be left naked and afraid.  It's nervewracking.  I want official answers to this vulnerability and if it is going to cost me my one and only virus removal per year premium service FREE virus removal per contract terms. 

I am one of those souls who was the FIRST one, world wide to receive a bad bad hack.  Ended up TM was on the phone with me for over 6 hrs after THREE DAYS of international trouble-shooting virus fixing.  I was the first machine they restored globally, yes MY machine.  It was awful. 

I had no intentions of sitting on a land line for 6 hrs straight, not eating, only leaving long enough to go to the bathroom, and come back and sit some more.  I had cauliflower ear from all that.  TM sr techs removed 271 viruses.  They were very nice about it.  I still have nightmares. 

I asked them if they were going to honor me by naming it after me.  They laughed and said no, there is a master list/naming process but I'd be forever remembered as the first one to report the problem and that they worked long and hard to get me back up and running.

So, now you know the "rest of my story".  It was a "pre-boot virus on a dual op sys machine.  And it was not fun. 

I'm still waiting for reassurance from someone who truly can say yes we will remove it for free and not use up your one Premium Svc Free Virus removal perk, and penalize you for one who year.  $98 virus removal service for premium customers is  big amt of money for someone on a fixed income.

(Edited)
Photo of Tom Emmelot

Tom Emmelot, Champion

• 27,650 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi penpress

I see you are scared, but if you do nothing on the internet, no open browsers, no mail programs open and just let the TM program do the update, the risk is zero, after the update and reboot and TM is up and working, do a full-scan to be sure ;)
Monday i think you get a answer from a TM Employee.
Good luck

Kind regards,
Tom